Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possibly buying a new gm.. what to do????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jul 27, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok my daily driver is a 1996 camaro v-6 (I know)
    anyhow.. it has 159k miles on it.. been pretty good since we have had it since it had 3 miles (to which we put 2 of them on in test driving)
    ok gas mileage... 23mpg highway...

anyhow... gm decided to put this stupid piece of crap plastic on the lower heater core hose... it blew and I was stranded... and forgot my cell at home... so it was a bad day... was tired to as this was after lifting georges blazah.....

so I have no car payments and liability on 3 vehicles.. so that is nice... but i think the camaro is going to start nickle and diming me....

so GM still has their employee discount...

myself and wife like the camaro... so doing a search for $18k I can get a 2002 camaro z-28, t-tops, leather, automatic (wife cant drive a stick)... so a good choice...

however I can get a 2005 chevy silverado 1500 Z-71 extended cab 4wd with the options I want for $33k - employee discount = $25k
    get $1k for camaro (via bro in laws friend) $2k on gm card = $23k @ $397 a month...
    however if I can get them to drop the price 2k (doubt it) but the payments would be $359 a month... that is where I need to be...

the only other alternatives is a 2005 GTO for $32k which is gonna be high on payments....

I gotta keep it cheap as the wife is in college and not working at the moment... so household income is low.....

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

you will never spend more fixing that camaro than you will buying a new car.

there is no way in hell I would consider spending 18K or more on a new car just because the heater core hose or whatever busted on the paid off car I was driving.

if you just gotta have something else, you said you gotta keep it cheap. Chevy Aveo runs about 11K for a new one. I bought one new in may 2004 and paid it off in may 2005 :D . 30K miles so far no problems.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

rememeber your insurance is going to be more expansive due to Having to have full coverage. I would repair the camero for now. Wife in school and single income. I would love to find a dd that got 22 mpg.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Definitely keep your car. If you stay on top of the maintenance on the camaro it won't be bad and will be much cheaper than a new one. Financing a new car is just a bad idea. If people would stop to consider the amount they pay in interest alone on the financing of vehicles over a lifetime, they would be astounded. In fact they would be looking at a pretty good retirement. Start putting money back every month (your vehicle payment) in a good solid investment and let the interest help pay for the car NOT add additional cost to it. This way you make your car payment to yourself. Just my opinion.

5. RootBreaker

I agree... just the car is going to start to need alot... tranny has been slipping.... shocks and struts are getting old and worn as it bottoms out more.... now the lower heater core hose still needs to be replaced... front and rear main seal is leaking...

If it was a z or ss I would love to keep it... drop a create motor in.... hype the suspension up....

if my wife would just allow me to get the 6 speed (she doesnt know how to drive stick...) I would get awesome mileage... I know someone with a ws6 trans am and gets 33mpg on highway...

6. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

if you got that 6 speed, your truck is a 4 speed, what does the wife drive? I like to have 2 cars everyone can drive in my house hold, that is why the 87 is an auto

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

You could have the tranny rebuilt for about $1,000- $1500. At least that's the estimate I got for rebuilding the tranny in my '90 K5 (it's slipping too). When they pull the tranny they can fix the rear main seal. Throw the shocks, struts, and heater core hose on top of that and your looking at probably $2000 or less. Way under a new car. You could pay cash for that and you wouldn't have a payment. Then you could start putting money back for the next car a few years down the road. Again, it's your money, I'm just giving my opinion.

"The rich rule over the poor and the borrower is servant to the lender"

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

correct me if i am wrong but isnt the gto stick only?

and as a mechanic that works on all cars and trucks every day. you wont find me with anything newer in my driveway. i dont even like my 96 vortec 350. the stuff now is just crap!!!!!!! if you want new and dont mind other stuff avoid the big 3 american.

9. RootBreaker

yes... guy said tonight that he will have a blue gto automatic this week... with blue leather... :bow:

i am gasping at truck prices... dont think im gonna buy anything.... :(

10. sweetk30

this is my solution to my needs of a new ride.

new mud truck 066.jpg

11. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Well I've always loved the camaros. If it was me, I would fix it up and drop a 305 in it. But I understand what getting a new set of wheels feels like and see how you would like to go that route. We were in this situation a few months ago. Had a mercury sable 97 with 170,000 mostly highway. Needed something new and more room and with more power and sometimes towing. Well to make a long story short we ended up with a 02 Trailblazer off of ebay with 30k miles paid 18k. Look on ebay motors its a good source. As for the Trailblazer I am very happy with it. Runs very smooth, nice steering, lots of new tech stuff like memory seats with the LTZ model and oil life reading ect.... Trailblazer is a very good DD that I recommend has a v6 4.2 votec. But it is pretty strong (had to tow the blazer one time as it stalled down the road) and it had no problems. Gets about 21 MPG.

12. sweetk30

the trail blazers are stright motor if i recall not v motor.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Modular block straight 6.

My personal opinion is that if you need a more reliable DD you're much better off buying something that is around 3 years old...by then they've already taken the big hit as far as depreciation goes, and usually have quite a few good years left in em.

Buying a brand new vehicle is not something I ever plan on doing again.

Rene

14. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

15. cornflake_4x4

cornflake_4x4 Registered Member

cobalt ss

The cobalt SS is a fun little car, and not too expensive. 205hp superchargered 4 cyl, five speed. Fun to drive, for a car. The trailblazer comes in a V-6, I-5, or a V-8, but you can only get the V-8 in the extended untill the Trailblazer SS comes out.

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Uh negative the Trailblazer only comes with 4.2 Inline 6 or the 5.3 V8. No V6

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Look for an '03 or newer pickup, they can be found for a decent price and fully loaded for less than what you can get that new truck for. But if you dont find a used truck and decide to go with new one, dont expect them to knock much off the price, they dont have much to negotiate with, I know its rare at the dealer I work at if we budge a couple hundred dollars on the vehicle as far as pricing goes with this new pricing plan, there just isnt any profit left in the vehicle. But watch for the interest rate and rebate, its a better deal to go with the rebate and 5.9% financing for 60 months if you can get it. I also believe you might be able to get lower through a Credit Union, that way you get the rebate and the low APR financing.

Another option could be a Colorado, very nice truck, huge interior and that I-5 pulls really good. You should be able to pick one of those up for under 20.

18. cornflake_4x4

cornflake_4x4 Registered Member

I may be mistaken, or they may have offered it in past years, but i remember having some on the lot at the dealership. If I'm wrong, sorry

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The TrailBlazer has never had a V-6. Always been the inline 4.2 liter.

Rene

20. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

:waytogo:

which is why root needs to buy my 2002 3.8 camaro with 7 months still left on the factory warranty. :D