Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possibly Switching Schools...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Nov 6, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Spent a year and half at SDSU so far in Mechanical Engineering. I'm thinking about going into the Automotive Engineering Technology program at Minnesota State, Mankato. I never stop babbling about motors and such and I'm just not into the ME curriculum. Yeah, I can struggle through the classes half-heartedly, but if I can get into something I really take interest in and dig into, I'm gonna do it.

Hopefully I'll be able to set up a meeting sometime in the near future. It's too late to do it for spring semester but oh well.

Pretty sure the old man is gonna throw a **** fit considering he holds a Ph.D. and an M.D. Eh well, I've gotta find something I like. I could be done in two years if I transferred anyways, which would make 4 years total, and that's faster than I could realistically get a degree in M.E. here.

Wish me luck. :doah:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

K good luck...
    Go ivy leage....;)

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

have you looked into schools that offer automotive classes in a ME major? i know many schools offer internal combustion engines. I am working on a ME degree, i plan on a specility in automotive systems, there are plenty of autmotive classes at the higher levels

4. mikey_d05

Closest thing I can get to "automotive" here is turbomachinery and refrigeration. The only way to get those sort of classes is to go to UW-Madison, and frankly, I'm kind of a hybrid between a hands on and theoretical thinker. If I had to sit down and design combustion chambers all day, I'd probably lose it.

We'll see how the meeting goes, but preliminarily, I think this might be the course of action that best suits me.

Hell, from the stats I'm seeing, AET majors usually make $40,000-$50,000 right out of school, which is only a little lower than what I'd be seeing as a certified F.E. in this area anyways.

I plan on this being a long meeting with a lot of questions, but this might be the way I want to go.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there are a lot of medium sized companies with headquarters in Minnesota, which would lead to good placement oppurtunities intially. Polaris for example hires a lot of Mankato's AET grads.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

look at www.mtu.edu, they do a lot of automotive related engineering and is most likley closer than uw madison. IM the same way wanting some hands on, thats why i did not like U of I they are more theroy, but mtu has hands on check out there motorsports teams, im transfering up there in the spring

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

so that means when you make all the loads of money your buyin up some timber on the state line for us to go wheeling on right

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Would a degree in AET be equivalent to a degree in ME?

As far as employers looking at your resume?

FWIW, all of the engineers here are either ME's or EE's. Dunno if we have any AET's. Most of them have a masters or Phd too. Some that don't, but I'd say that 40% of them do.

8. mikey_d05

No, it'd be sort of a different field and a little less technical. Some of the positions I've seen listed are design engineers, field test Engineer, project managers, and technical directors.

I'm just really not as into it as I thought I would be at this point. I'm willing to sacrifice $$$ to switch into a different program.

9. mikey_d05

This is what a wife is for.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

We need a test engineer right now.

Dunno about the pay, I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you.

11. mikey_d05

Check on the requirements as well please. Some places a "test engineer" is a P.E. with a Ph.D., some places it's a high school grad.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your title/position/whatever, and what'd you start at?

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Engineering technician

Pay grade starts at ~33k, tops out at 76k.

Give me a minute, I'll find the jobs on monster.

13. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

14. mikey_d05

First position I'd be qualified, second one would be iffy because of the degree. Both look like they'd pay well and be interesting.

A quick search of monster reveals a lot of positions listed as needing "A B.S. in engineering or equivalent." hmmm....

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Would the AET thing be equivalent?

BTW, some positions wouild qualify for relocation packages. Pretty good money too from what I hear.

16. mikey_d05

That's the problem...I don't know.

AET is a lot lighter on theory and a lot heavier on application and design work. I still have to have physics 1 and 2, and calc 1 and 2, it's just that where the ME curriculum diverges into theory, the AET curriculum goes into application and CAD work.

It's gonna be a looooooong meeting.

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I think that it would be cool to bring a couple job listings that you would be interested in, to ask how a degree in AET would qualify you for the position.

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

An ME will open a lot of doors. Tons of options at graduation...I ended up in the auto industry.

19. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Mikey don't forget Arctic Cat is opening an engine foundry in St Cloud soon. Which would be a better place to live than omygodit'scold Thief River Falls
    George