Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possibly the BEST custom full hydraulic steering ram you can buy! - LOTS of PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, May 25, 2005.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have been in the market to purchase a full hydraulic system for my new project for a while. After doing a ton of research, I was going to go with PSC out of Texas, however, during a club Show-n-Shine a couple weeks ago, I ran into David Hagan and his bad a$$ Jeep!
    [​IMG]

David spent 16 months building this Jeep and you would not believe the amount of engineering that went into it. The best part, David owns a machine shop and he custom built most of the parts himself!

Anyway, after spending some time talking to David at the show, I asked if he would build me a ram and his response was sure. Then I threw in, can I come and take pictures of the build, he said yep!

His ram starts with a 1.75" Diameter shaft that weighs in at 21.5 lbs. It is made from Hydraulic Shafting 1045 steel. It is turned and ground then hard chromed. He machines the ends to accept 5/8" ball bore Heim joints and he recommends running the 3/4" shank version. He personally runs Nationals Black Max Heims on his rig.

[​IMG]

Next he builds the piston using a two piece ductile iron unit that is the standard in the hydraulic industry. To seal it, he uses a large o-ring between the piston and the shaft. This stops any leakage that would cause slop in the steering. He then uses a teflon ring to seal between the piston and the housing. Under this teflon ring is another o-ring for extra sealing and to help support the teflon ring. He also installs a composite wear ring on the pistion.

[​IMG]

He then installs the piston in place on the shaft using TWO snap rings on each side of the piston.

[​IMG]

Next comes the cylinder. He uses hardened hydraulic housing tube that is then machined and honed to precise tolerances. He then tigs in the bungs. The housing weighs in at 10.25 lbs!

[​IMG]

The ends he uses are a machined work of art! He uses buttress threads on the ends which, again is standard in the hyrdaulic industry. He uses Parker poly packs to seal the ends which includes two o-rings, an inner seal, and an outer dust seal.
    [​IMG]

Next he made me a set of spacers that reduced the amount of travel to my requested 9.25". I measured this on my Rockwell axle and this is the maximum travel I wanted to run. He said he has built rams for up to 10" of travel that guys are using on the Rockwell...
    [​IMG]

That's it for parts. He then lubes everything really well with hydraulic fluid and puts it together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, he also included a set of these sick clamps to mount the ram into place.

[​IMG]

David is a super nice guy and has been into racing his entire life. He is very knowledgeable with hydraulics and I would highly recommend his ram over anything that is out there. His pricing is very competitive, and he will not lower his quality to produce a cheaper product to compete with some of the stuff that is out there. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM and I will get you his contact information.

If you need a ram I would call David!

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

That is sweet, I don't think.......well, not any time soon........need full hydro steering, but if I did, That stuff looks awsome :D

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

steering

if you go to www.rocklogic4x4.com they have a hdrolic assist for 300$ and its awsome! you can turn 44's with your pinky finger

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Nice link to the software site. There are a bunch of companies making hydraulic assist kits. Some good, some not good. I run the WTO kit on my '90K5 and all is good when the ram is not leaking.

btw, this is not a hydraulic assist ram. This is for full hydraulic steering.

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

it's actually www.rocklogic4x4.com

I've never driven a rig with there system but I know abunch of guys running them and have heard nothing but praise. Plus you can't ask for better customer service in slc.

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

steering

you are right iv been trying to change it to 4x4. thanx

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Also IMHO I'm not sure of the use of your rig but if its driven on the street I wouldn't want to run full hyd. steering system, too much at risk in the result of catastrophic failure ecspecially at high speeds :blush:

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Hey I am in the market for a double ended cylinder....got a couple of questions....

Why did he use spacers on your cylinder if he custom machines these things? Why didn't he design it for the correct stroke if he builds them?

Why did you use 2 different sizes of spacer? When using 2 different sizes your rod will not be centered when you are at the center of the stroke...

This leads me to beleave that he gets the parts then assembles them or customizes them to work with your setup. If so who did he get them from? Prince ? Cross ? Someone like Tisco????

Does he also give you all the seal #'s so you can put together an extra packing kit? It would suck to have a seal go out and have to figure out what this guy used in your cylinder to repair it.

I can get a PSC 1.75" tube. 2.5" bore X 8" stroke, 1.5" rod, 3/4-16 female both ends, #6sae female ports From Blue Tourch Fabworks for 275$ online. Or the Surplus Center ram for 199$. I know I can get the packing kits for these cylinders if the seals go bad. Can he realy compete with these prices?

[​IMG]

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You are ass-uming a lot. I don't plan to drive it on the street. Especially with the 46" Michelins. :D

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm just used to reading the idiotic posts from some of the rednecks on pirate who would put a full hyd. system on a DD running 53"s :eek:

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Looks like apples and apples are being compared. :grin: :doah: I think you meant to say PSC=1.5 and David's=1.75

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Doh! :doah:

14. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Can you send me Davids info.?

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm going to buy one of their servowriters....!!! :haha:

Back on topic....the new ram does look sweet.

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

He's a great guy and very helpful!

David Hagan
    Davco Manufacturing
    RR 1 Box 176
    Ochelata, OK 74051-9801
    (918) 535-2360

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a couple pics of the ram installed on the Rockwell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats freakin sweet. I want to do mine exactly like that. How much do you think you have into your convert so far? Are you going with pinion mounted brakes?

19. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am trying to stay on the cheap with this build... I probably have $2K in it so far. That inlcudes the '89K5, axles, 46" Michelins, springs, ect.

That does not include the cost of the Atlas II, driveshafts, beadlocks, Detriots, or any other expense I need to button this thing up for the trail...

Yep, I am running pinion brakes. Got the Screamin Seeman kits... The calipers came from a local salvage...

[​IMG]

However, I am seriously debating on dropping the leaf springs in lou of coils and a linked supsension... The leaves are real close to my ram and I have more lift in front than I want. If I pull a leaf out or replace a "lift" leaf with a stock leaf, the spring pack drops and gets even closer to the ram... : mad:

20. screamin seeman

screamin seeman Registered Member

If you want to forward me some pics, I would be happy to get them put on my website. I am going to start a customers rigs page to show some appreciation for the support.
    -Paul
    www.screaminseeman.com