Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possibly the dumbest trannsmission thing I've ever done!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bowtied, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Possibly the dumbest trannsmission thing I\'ve ever done!

Okay, i made a post just a few days ago and asked questions regaurding my tranny slipping (more like bucking) from a dead stop. Well, today I was flying down the road and came to a stop, when I went to leave the stop, my truck shook like I was running over a huge wash board. I stopped and chaecked the fluid level expecting to not find a drop on the stick but it was actually a few inches above the full line! So, my question is, if the tranny is grossly overserviced, would it cause my problems?
    I am going to try to drain some out and try it that way but please let me know what you all think...
    Thanks!
    Bowtied

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: Possibly the dumbest trannsmission thing I\'ve ever done!

Over filled can cause some strange operation. Sometimes it decides to purge and blows out your front seal (pull the tranny and X-case back to fix) or shoots up the dipstick tube (engine fire if it hits hot manifolds), but hopefully squirts out of the vent on top (messy road and smoking exhast pipes).

Just take some fluid out and see if that fixes it.

3. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

When I had an overfilled 700r4 tranny if wouldn't shift out of first and blew out the vent tube. It caught on fire on my headers. Drain it fast!!

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

It will severely effect your shifting as the valve body is completely immersed in tranny fluid. It delays the movement of the valves and venting of fluid during shifts. And that is the beginning of the problems!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well did you check it with it running or was it it off? got to check them while the engine is on. The coverter will drain back into the pan and give you an incorrect reading when they are off.
    If it is over filled then ris it might be causeing the problem. Stuff in the valve body has to drain to work right..if the level is above the drain then it might cause problems. Also if it way to hight the drums and rotating mass is in the fluid and could be ariating. If airrated fluid got sucked up by the pump then it's possible that it would start slipping because...AIR compresses MUCH more then fliud....If it's over full get that pup back down to the right level and see how it does.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You know what.....Surfing while working a repair shop suxs caus it takes me 30 minutes to type three lines between customers! LOL.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    <font color="green"> Dude! I wish i could surf between coustomers /forums/images/icons/cool.gif </font color>

8. Bowtied

Alright guys, thanks for the info
    I'm going to de-service it a little tommorrow and hope that all is well and no damage has been done.

Thanks again for your help.
    Bowtied

9. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Yea if it comes out the vent tube it can get on the exhaust pipes and catch on fire. I know from experience.

10. Bowtied

Well, I drained out the excess fluid today and filled to the exact amount and it's still acting up! I can't figure it out, it acts like it doesnt go into gear until you give it a little throttle but once it engages it'll still spin the tires...
    I was wondering if the valve body was bad or maybe even the modulator. I was told that it could be the bands. That sounds expensive!
    Thanks for your help,
    Bowtied

11. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

B&amp;M makes a band tightener. I've talked to peeps that have used it and said it works wonders. TO drag out the last of life of the tranny. Hope this works...I'm experiencing something like this as well. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

12. Bowtied

DuneRunner,
    Thanks for the info. I took my truck to a tranny shop today and just as you can imagine, it acted fine the whole stinkin time! The Manager and I rode around beatin on it for about 15 minutes and it did fine. Of course then on the way home it started acting up again. I don't know a lot about tranny's but I am starting to think it is a pressure problem. Once it's good and hot it will act like it is almost popping out of gear but only at idle. If I romp the gas it'll grap real hard and go. As a matter of fact, when I got in my drive way this evening I sat there at idle with the tranny in drive and it felt like I was shifting from D to N and back and forth. Constantly engaging and disengaging yet I never moved the shifter the entire time!

Hey, if anyone out there has any insight on this one I would greatly appreciate any help at all!

Thanks all,
    Bowtied

13. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Did u checked if the filter is pluged??
    Or if the gasket between the filter and the valve body is there??

Sure u gona have to take the pan out but it is simpler then to pull the trany out to be rebuild!!!

14. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Drain it fast man. This is what happened to my friends truck on a club run when his tranny boiled over. Not a good thing to have happen in the middle of nowhere.
    Lil' Bitty Burb Up
    Brian
    82 burb
    38.5's