Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

post 27 mud bunny v.5 1/12/11 new parts!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Mar 16, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well today i finally got to do an upgrade! i am done fixing and i got 456 gears and an auburn LS from muddinmanny. i picked these up a few weeks ago and was working on em all week during spring break. yall saw em on mannys thread. i wirewheeled the crap outta them and primed and painted them. i spent 100 bills on a new set of Ubolts. i just bit the bullet and bought the local ones, those were the most inexpensive ones!! geez i ended up torching them shorter cause i couldnt get a deep impact socket on there. then i got new dust boots for the rod ends and cause everythings real tight and good.
    here they are a few days ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they look pretty slick if i do say so myself! i know theyre 10bs but hey they got the gears i need and 3.08 is killin me all over the place.

so today i ripped out the rearend and all was going smoooooth. here she is before the swap fresh from the wash and shes all pretty underneath.
    [​IMG]
    with the rear out!
    [​IMG]
    all going smoothly and timely too! this took about an hour to get to this
    point.
    heres the new rearend aith the 456 and LS painted up all pretty.
    [​IMG]

bled the breaks and sealed up the cover. i was about to button up the drive shaft when the inevitable happend. theres always something to hold me up somewhere and i knew it was coming but not now!! mannys old pinion yoke is much larger then my old one.... meaning i need a new UJ. can yall tell which yoke this is and what UJ i need to buy? i have these pics and the yoke looks like it has 335 stamped on it? will i need to have my shaft redone or just a new joint? i caleld around and everyone said the part numbers for blazer and k10 is the same. so the ck5 homies can chime in the right info needed. thanks again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    do yall need better pics or are these good?? thanks for lookin!! ill have the front on hopefully tomorrow or sunday!! im pretty stoked!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I am so proud of you!

Hey Matt!

I am so proud of you lil bro! I am so happy that someone like you bought those 10 bolts! You have taken much pride in them and have done a great job in dressing them up!

As far as the yoke is concerned, contact Hunterguy86. He bought my old drive shaft and can tell you what U-joint he has in the rear section of the shaft. That information will tell you what size yoke is on there.

Hope that helps! Can't wait to see the front in.

Take care!

Manny

3. obijuan

i have been looking around and i am unsure if this is right, the big diameter cap iirc is around 1.18" in diameter and the small one is around 1.06" is that a 1310 to 1350? i really need to get this squared away tomorrow so i can drive!

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Matt,

I contacted Dustin and asked him to contact you immediately. He should be able to square you away! I'll do everything on my end to find out for you.

Manny

5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey Matt, those 10b`s are looking awful perttyyy;)

You did a hell of a job cleaning those up. Keep up the good work dude, I`m subscribed;)

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Hey man I sent ya a PM.

8. obijuan

thanks dustin! i got one from the oreallys auto parts store. i cant believe they had it. it was really dusty and the right fit. i called napa and advance and driveshafts unlimited but the best one was 5 miles from my house! 26 bucks and i was on the right track. it fit and i changed it out quick fast and in a hurry all by myself! lol im going to tackle the front end right now and ill be back later. thanks again for everyones help!! it is always appreciated!

9. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

those rears sure are shiny! any pics of the finished product?

10. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Matt,

Great glad it worked out! Hurry up with the pics!

Hey Dustin,

Thanks for answering the call and rallying to the help of a fellow K5'er!

That's what it is all about! Y'all ROCK!

Manny

11. obijuan

well this morning i was scramblin on the phone to find that freak u joint and nobody i mean nobody had one in town. so after a while and those measurements given i sort of guessed i had a s44 joint to something else smaller on the driveshaft then the big ol honkin yoke. so i called my freindly oreallys store and said i needed a coversion u joint.... "what the hell is that?"
    so i gave him a part number the 477 precision joint. it turned out being like 26 bucks and i was stoked. went back and took care of that really easily. i was suprised. in no time flat i had changed my own first ujoint:D . cool to me! check it out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what do yall think of that pinion angle for a DD?

so then.

i pulled the mud bunny out to turn it around and i hear. clunk clunk. i was like WTF!!!!! i walked by it holding the brake with my hands and watched the tires hop around then i was like MAN! WTF!! so i backed it back in and took off the cover and busted my badass seal i made. and proceded to shake everything to find the culprit.

i thought maybe its the clutch deals havin a hard time slippin?? i dunno what it was. my boss Dave and fellow chevy guy were like man... wtf. he thought it was a busted axle and we started turning and shakin all the moving parts. we were at a loss. i was just about to tear into the rearend to see whats up. then victor the fabricator and rice racer and he said. whats it doin? turn it. then he came to the conclusion that it was the clutches things working and they didnt have the additive that it needed? oh ok!! that made my day!! i had spent a few hours diagnosing and shootin the bull with dave and coupla guys next door. then vic comes up and withing 30 seconds he changes the direction of the day. alriiight!

SO i went and got the additive and busted out a new diff seal and turned her around and proceded to knock out the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here she sits ppretty much as of now. all i have to do is undo the ubolts and swap it out all while not scratching it!! thats already hard to do lol. then put it all back on!
    i had to leave cause it was getting dark but heres how i left it with the tires on and jack stands with wheel chocks and in D. it shouldnt go anywhere. i hope.... ill get this stuff done tomorrow and ill have good pics if the new axles. thanks for the help again! i really owe yall one!! specially you dustin and manny!!
    [​IMG]

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Matt,

Good job, but I'm a little confused. The additive you're talkin' about is a direct pour into the diff. It mixes with the gear oil. Oreilly's sells the gear oil with the lubricant already in it. The reason that the rear axle prolly clunked a little is because it had no gear oil in it when I sold you the axles. You knew that. It just took a little time to get the oil flowing through the spring packs. Why did you need to pull the axle again? I guess I don't understand.

Also, were all the u-bolts torqued down to a minimum 120 ft/lbs. torque? Make sure you check as they will need to be retightened even after a short roll around that lot.

Manny

13. obijuan

oh i didnt pull the axle out! i was determined to keep it in there. so i got it all figured with the axle in tact. i guess i just never thought about it that it had to have oil sloshin in there. but its all workin now and i hope to have it going good tomorrow. i impacted the ubolts down and will recheck periodically. im not lookin forward to anymore little suprises like the ujoint and the ubolts!

14. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Phew! Okay dude, I'm sorry about all that. Hope you're not upset with me. I didn't think you were gonna have any issues with the u-joints. I'm happy that Dustin was able to get you the info you needed. You did a fine job on that swap and taking care of the axles. Please keep me up to date. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Manny

15. obijuan

whew today today,
    picked up where i left off yesterday and started on the front. unbolted everything and hung the calipers. like so:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then i rolled the new axle under. i did this one by myself and not with the help of my lovely assistant erin. she shuttled me around all around town lookin for that ujoint and feeding me. she even helped out with the grunt work like ME! i think i may go back to this setup for drag racing... what do yall think??
    [​IMG]

nevermind. bad idea. rolled the new front axle under and boy was it hard to do, it kept turning and throwing it off balance and i scratched the crap out of the bottomside with the jack. but you cant see it anyways. here it is with the 100 dolla ubolts.
    [​IMG]
    polishing it between tasks. mmmmm.
    [​IMG]
    then i got really almost done with it and quit taking pictures. pretty amped up. so i took it for a test drive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LS works great and kicks in really quick too! thanks a whole lot manny!!!
    coming back to check for anything wierd... all OK!

then i had to flex it out cause i ditched the swaybar finally. it did ok. pretty good comparitively to before. i got some fender rubbing but thats no problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

new bling... aww yeah
    [​IMG]

and then the typical chevy lean.... gotta fix this.
    [​IMG]

well its all done and almost ready for shiloh in april!! :D :D cant wait. i gotta find some mud to test out the new stuff. ill keep yall updated.

i really gotta say thanks to all of yall for your help and inpit in every time i have asked. counltess times yall saved my ass. and deifinately my girlfreind erin for all her help and support. totally made a big difference. then to manny. i couldnt have gotten my rig to how it is now without you. your build thread and the actually generosity and kindness you gave me just cause i like chevys. thanks again and ill be back.... er i mean may the force be with yall!

16. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

nice man. gettin er done eh???? haha..keep up the good work. by the way, what's the next mod(s)???

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Haha,

Congratulations my young Jedi! Mmmm. you do well with the force. MUD in your future I see...Very well you shall do. Stay focused, you will. Let the force flow through you. Deep is the dark side. Will bog you down!

Dude, those 10 bolts look awesome! I'm so glad your happy! If there is anything I can help you with please let me know. I'll be there for you. I should be up and running shortly. So remember, when I am and you get stuck, I'm just a phone call away!

Remember to check the torque on everything for at least a week or two. Don't take it for granted that you used air tools.

Thanks again for all the kind words! Glad your K5's rear end ain't givin' ya the slip anymore!

Manny

18. obijuan

aww man, next mods... i dunno . this coming weeks im making a reciever hook and mounting tow hooks. maybe a this summer ill make a shackle flip with my dad and do that with some new rear springs. if i can find a hell of a deal on a 14 bolt ill do that this summer but well see. manny when i was backing up that pile o dirt the LS was working good too. no clunks anymore either. the hubs are smooth like butter and work nice too. i have never had manual hubs before its awesome! i am comfortable in my truck and i think i can tear into anything and not get eye deep in doo doo. thats where this weekend really payed off. i guess this is the Mud Bunny V2 now huh?

19. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Well, you will be the first person to see that LS in the MUD. She's a virgin. I'm glad your happy and have new confidence in your rig's abilities. We'll have to see how she does in Shiloh. Contact Dustin. He's got a nice place for you to try out the MUD. He got stuck in it! :haha:

Keep in touch, okay? We need to hook up for some wings and such!

Manny

20. obijuan

wow the truck has sure come a long way.

i have since done the shackle flip and aquired a crap load of parts. i just picked up my d60 and tore it down to the bare housing today. these 10 bolts have served me well, but i could really have used the beef a few times and ive had to back down or just not go play. its been a long time with waiting for good deals and working on this stuff here and there. the trucks been a great DD for me and the bunny is ready for the next transformation.

the plans:
    60/14 5.13 and detroits f&r
    700r4/205
    crossover, maybe hydro assist.
    ford superduty rear shaft
    8 inch superlift springs in the front and 56s in the back somehow netting 8 inches.
    1410 front shaft with ford 32 spline front for the 205
    rear discs

and that ought to conclude this stage.

heres the truck in question
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

recently cut off the ghey exhaust that got caught on everything
    [​IMG]

ford shaft
    [​IMG]

stainless brake lines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

recently picked up a dodge 60
    [​IMG]

and tore it down today with a good buddy. this thing was nasty.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here was my breaker bar
    [​IMG]

ive got it torn down to the bare housing except for the inner seals.

[​IMG]
    gonna have it blasted here soon. i cant wait to get these under and going. i appreciate everyones help with this project even if you didnt know you did!

ill keep it updated as progress progresses.