Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post a pic of what you use for a TOOLBOX

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Aug 20, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm trying to get some ideas. I've got an '87 K5 DD and use it as a pickup a lot already (only been DDing it for a month). I often fold the rear seat down and roll it forward to haul crap, so my room for a toolbox is limited. I either need something that isn't too tall, or something that is narrow and tucks over to the side. I've considered the side mount boxes at sears with the 5 pullout drawers. Anyway, post a pic of what you did and all, and maybe it'll help some folks.

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Bryan,

I dont have a pic, but Steve Frisbie had a cool Craftsman tool box which was lockable and fit perfectly behind the rear wheelwell even with the tailgate installed. It was just flush with the top of the bedside - it looked like it was made for a K5. It had 3 drawers I think and was about 10" wide. Check out www.Craftsman.com

Heres one:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1925043417.1061388512@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjhadcjefkgfhecehgcemgdffmdfko.0&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00959984000

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have this for now:

[​IMG]

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

YUP, that's where i got the idea of using a craftsman one. I like the hell outta his and that's what i'm going with if i cant find something bigger or better!

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I used a fullsize truck over the rail box in mine. Took the rear set out. It fit right up to the back of the front seats. With my softop it was great, pull the side up and get what I needed. Left a TON of room out back too.

I'm looking now at some smaller "jobsite" boxes that will go behind the rear seat. Gotta have the rear seat, gonna have a young-un soon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well my 75 is very trail dedicated and being a full top that 8 months of the year is running a soft top I bolted a huge lock box to the floor as a rear open trunk. It's fill the whole back the truck. My actual tool box is 21x11x10 Rubbermaid with double stack trays. and handles all my hand tools and a 7.2v makita 90degree drill. In the burb I have a shelf that the same tool box slides under and I hcan fold the seat back and load long items.

For big junk I have a utility trailer I enclosed. So I have 5x8ft enclosed trailer and I also use it as a camper.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i use a 50 cal ammo can i found i the field when i was in the army.fits what i need and is water tight with a rubber seal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I took a standard truck bed side box and cut it down a bit in length and height to fit in my burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tool Box

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Rob (therobzilla) will probably post up if he has a pic, he's got a pretty cool setup, if you don't need room for a spare laying in the bed......

10. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

Tractor Supply has a pretty neat-o plastic type tool box. looks more secure than the rubbermaid thing.

[​IMG]

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

I have a couple boxes. The larger one on the right I keep oils, belts, straps and connectors, extra lights, wiring, ujoints, winter kit (candles, matches, blanket). The box on the left got replaced with a smaller box. Its just tools and wiring connectors, fuses, electrical tape and stuff. It also fits perfectly behind the drivers seat between the wall and center hump (it does not slide around). Then I have a 3/8" craftsmen wrachet set in case and jumper cables under the drivers seat.

[​IMG]

Under the big box, I also have room on the sides for foldup chairs, sleeping bag, jumper box (the portable battery jumper), misc stuff I carry around from time to time. And dont forget the subs and amp! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

A lot of good ideas, but I like yours the most for me Tazz....what did it take to cut the box down? If you were to do it over again, would you cut another one or build from scratch?

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If i were to do it again....to put it in a burb, it was easier to cut it down, only had to shorten it both ways about 4" in length and about 2" in height. But if your going to put it in a blazer, might be easier to start from scratch. I'd check the measurements of where your going to install it and check against the size of a factory made one.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Skigirl, please don't wheel it w/ all that stuff not tied down! Hell, folks have gotten hurt bad from wrecks on the street by stuff smaller than that.

16. bigjbear

I have a truck siderail box bolted to the bed floor on the '73 (no backseat). The '80 (backseat still in place) has storage compartments where the side panels used to be in the back & a small toolbox that gets ratchetstrapped in place. I cut the storage compartments out of sheetmetal and bolted them in. I built these before I had a welder and am going to add some welds as insurance when it goes back on the road. I also have an ammo can that I ratchetstrap into place useing some HD tiedowns, this gets swaped between both trucks.

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Bigbear: Thanks for the concern. I have a deck that bolts down over all that stuff (used to bolt into the bed but will soon attach to the roll cage, not shown here) and the medical supply box (the big green one) is also bolted to the bed with large plates underneath. Everything in the truck is tightly secured when I drive it even on the highway. Learned that one from Grimmy advice a while back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. bigjbear

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Smart thinking