Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

post amp installation static...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by amm888, Jul 3, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just installed a rf 550x (551x - something like that) under the driver's seat. it seems allright 'cept i'm getting faint static on a few of my favorite stations - some of the time. a few stations are coming in clear and there is no static when i play a cd.

any suggestions on a fix for this?

also, not as important, any suggestions on setting the gain control (this is my first amp).

thanks
    alex

2. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

More than likely it's not your amp causing the static. I would look into the head unit. I would set the gain control to about 75%. My 2 cents.

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

but before i put the amp in i had no static with this head unit...

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    but before i put the amp in i had no static with this head unit...

[/ QUOTE ]

You also didn't have "gain"....

Adding the amp also probably changed your ground-plane in the vehicle. Where did you ground the amp? Not back to the negative post of the battery, I hope!

I'd also unplug the antenna lead and try a new antenna, since the problem seems "radio related" an old, badly grounded antenna can introduce noise.....as can bad grounds, or excessive "gain" on a new amp....

There are a lot of things actually, but let's start with the basics first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

a grounded the amp under the driver's seat about 6" away from the amp (and i rubbed the paint away first)

my antenna is the windshield type...

if the static is from the gain why would it effect the tuner only and leave the cd sound static free?

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Is the static coming out of all your speakers or just the ones that are on the amp? Is it static or more of a whining sound? if it whines in relation to your engine rpm's then try rerouting your power wire for the amp. Where is your power source for the amp?

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

all four of my speakers are connected to the amp...i'd say it's more of a staticy noise than a whining sound and i have't noticed any correlation to engine rpms...my power source for the amp is my battery which is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

After rereading your original post are you sure it just isn't weak signal from your radio stations? Since you've put this amp in maybe you're just noticing it more since it's louder. Those windshield antennas aren't the greatest.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

A CD has a much higher signal to noise ratio than a radio. That's why you only hear the static on the radio. What you might want to do is get a few different size capacitors and put it across the power input terminals on the amp to see if it'll eliminate or at least cut down on some of the noise. Get a .001µF, .01µF, .1µF, 1µF, 10µF, 100µF rated for at least 20v from Radio Shack.

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

ok, this is a kinda easy question to answer. Its not ur amp nor ur speakers. its ur antenna. The windshield andtennae(spelling?) suck. plain and simple. thay can't get the gretaest reception, so u hear static. now ur just hearing it more cus ur system is louder and the amp does its job by amplifying the sound. (dert! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so simply either put in a diff antenna ( i know, we allhate to make drastic changes such as that) or buy a reciever that has a good tuner in it (most manufacturers have a special reciver for radio use) or lastly, just listen to cds and XM (or SIRIUS) radio. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

Dale and Big Red - i just don't see how it can be the antenna. i had no problems before the amp and i played the stereo just as loud as i'm playing it now...am i missing something? is the amp still amplifying the static more than before even though i'm not playing music any louder?

rampage - i should get all six of those capacitors and put them where exactly?

thanks for all the help guys...
    alex

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Get all 6, should only be a couple bucks for all of them. One at a time place one of the capacitors across the power input on the amp (positive and negative terminals noting the correct polarity on the capacitor). One of them should work. It's been a while since I've done this and I can't remember if you need the larger size or smaller size, maybe someone else can remember for me. Keep us updated /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

turn your head unit about 3/4 of the way up with your gain all the way down. turn the gain up until you start to hear distortion and then back it off just a bit. this will help your speakers live a long, happy life. rememeber, distortion = your enemy, it's what kills speakers 99% of the time.

-Scott

14. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

hmmm, from static to distortion, kinda like Bigfoot to humans. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

yeah, i've fooled with the gain a bit - but i'm definately getting static and not just distortion.

rampage - what exactly do these capacitors do? (well, i kinda know what they do, but how do they help with the static?)

alex

16. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

They should filter out any noise that is coming from through the power source. Since noise (static) is an AC source it will pass through the cap instead of the amp. I'd start with the smaller cap first. After thinking about this tonight I'm not even sure this will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot.