Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post counts.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyracing, Mar 14, 2004.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Why is the post count so important to some people? Is it a form of status or something? Just curious........

John

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

kinda status to some, when i was new, the people with the most posts kinda had me in "ahhhh" now i ignore most of the people's count because all you need is a visit to the test forum to see why most of these peeps have crazy amounts of posts /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Who said post count was all that important? I have a fair amount, not because I care one way or the other, but because I spend a fair bit of time here and interact a lot. I certainly don't go out of my way to pad the totals, and you won't find me posting useless crap in the test or feedback forum.

Also, just because my post count is up there doesn't mean I know a lot, or know more or anything like that either...and I certainly hope nobody thinks that.

I just like being here, talking trucks and sometimes off-topic stuff. I know if I have a problem someone here will help...so I come here before going anywhere else. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Couldn't tell ya.
    I rarely rely on the post count to take advice.
    Like other things, its the quality of the post not the quantity.

Rene - You have nothing to worry about.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Good question. I see some people screeming about padding to others who couldn't care less about post counts, and I never could figure out why any of them are making a big deal out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree , it shouldn't matter. I just like to help people , or be helped. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why is the post count so important to some people? Is it a form of status or something? Just curious........

John

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that it's that important to me. Yeah, I've done a good amount of padding in my time here, but most of my posts are from either me asking a question or replying to one. I don't think of it as a status symbol or anything like that, but more of a thing that shows that i've been here a while and not just lurking around. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That and I think that I've worked hard on here to get that post count in my first year here, and I don't want to lose it. (even if I was a dumbass and couldn't renew the right way to keep my account and personal info.)

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What caused you to ask, John?

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, just because my post count is up there doesn't mean I know a lot, or know more or anything like that either...and I certainly hope nobody thinks that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Rene you are one of the most respected members on this site you always post up good advise to people you are one of the only people on this site that has a honest post count /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

In my theory, it is a secret and un-talked about race to rack up a large number of posts... not too serious of a competition, but one that people can compete in for fun, just to see what large post counts they can achieve.

Thats one of my guesses.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    In my theory, it is a secret and un-talked about race to rack up a large number of posts... not too serious of a competition, but one that people can compete in for fun, just to see what large post counts they can achieve.

Thats one of my guesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, there is a small "race" or whatever you would like to call it to see who can rack up the most posts.

But seriously... generally the guys with a lot of posts are the guys that have been here the longest and have a lot of knowledge. There are the test forum padders but most of the high post count guys really do know their stuff. Rene is a perfect example, he's been here since the beginning and probably one of the most knowledgable guys on here, he has 3972349573498659376934786 friggin' posts. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Other guys I can think of off the top of my head are Tim, jekbrown, harryh3, mudhog, badog...they all know their sh!t for sure and have TONS of posts. It is as simple as the guys with the most posts are usually the guys that have been here for a longer time than guys with less posts. Almost everyday I learn something new being a CK5 member meaning that afterwhile you have learned a LOT of stuff, more than the guys that haven't been around long.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

PAD!!

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    he has 3972349573498659376934786 friggin' posts

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I have he has 3972349573498659376934785friggin' posts if I'm behind Rene in total posts. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Rene is a perfect example, he's been here since the beginning and probably one of the most knowledgable guys on here

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree about the knowledgable part...I'm humbled by the tech I see posted from all sources. Further proof of how unimportant post count is is seeing some of the great tech replies and posts from guys with a handful of posts. Really, a post count is just an indication of the time spent here and the willingness to participate publicly. I feel no shame in asking questions, or letting people know that I don't have the answer, and that's what this site is about to me.

I'm sure we all have some varying degrees of competitiveness which leads to wanting to build bigger and badder and be the first...and maybe some of that spills over into post count sometimes.

Rene

15. tRustyK5

You've just been slacking Wes... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea post counts dont mean crap. Look at me Ive got alot of posts and I really dont know anything. ANd whats wrong with padding???? Its fun!!!

Nick

17. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

oh and btw if you look at my posts i bet you rally counldnt more than mayby 20 or 30 posts actually answering ppls questions and thats a high guess. I pretty much just come here to read and pad.

nick

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Who said post count was all that important? I have a fair amount, not because I care one way or the other, but because I spend a fair bit of time here and interact a lot. I certainly don't go out of my way to pad the totals, and you won't find me posting useless crap in the test or feedback forum.

I just like being here, talking trucks and sometimes off-topic stuff. I know if I have a problem someone here will help...so I come here before going anywhere else. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more there.

Remember when Wes was the first person with over 3,000 posts or something? I was new here then and can hardly remember.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about my post count. Great, I have lots of posts. I read a lot here. I learn a lot here. I help out others with projects that I've already completed, which are many in the four years I've been wrenching.

I too am awed by huge undertakings that I never get the time to complete nor do I have the know how to even think about doing, like all these people here doing links, coils, building cages, fabricating this and that.

Granted, I've built one hell of a truck with the help of the guys here, but it's just crazy to step back and take a look at how far the others have come vs. mine. There's just so much to learn here, it's amazing and endless.

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Just something to do /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's like collecting or fishing. You don't NEED 3,000 Coke bottles or a spotted rainbow albino carp, but it's relaxing and fun. Padding is relaxing and fun for me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.........am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What caused you to ask, John?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious is all.. LOL I can't speak really, I am up there a ways too. I have answered questions and posted a lot of jokes and the like as well. It just seems each message board I go to has a post count thing a ma jigger. Some of the boards (thankfully not this one) won't even talk to you unless you are a regular.

The nice thing about this board is that someone can come on here with one post and ask a question and get an answer.

John