Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post Crossover Steering Install Concern...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I finished my crossover a good couple months ago or so and one thing noticed was that I do NOT have lock to lock steering. I swapped in a 2wd output shaft into my existing 4wd box. The steering when going left to right actually gets stopped like I'm hitting the stops on the axle but when I look I'm a good 1/2" to 1" away from the stops. Anyone have any similar experiences or know what might be causing this? Perhaps I got the wrong output shaft and its physically hitting the inner walls of the box and being stopped by that? The gears looked the same when compared to my 4wd shaft. Hmmmm.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe a longer pitman arm would help?

Rene

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Jack up your front end and try it. Front tires off the ground. I had this problem with a dropped draglink. A non rotating tire has a lot of friction. The bigger the tire, the more friction. In my case it was easier for the steering linkage to extend the suspension (push one corner of the truck up) there by extending the steering linkage instead of turning the tire. This goes away when the truick is moving. Let me know if this is the case with yours.

Eric M.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Rene has a valid point. TheBigdaddyof2 did the same swap without problems. I beleieve he used the Superlift arm (like me and others). Mine actually hits the bumpstops and moves the whole frontend over a bit because the box still allows some travel. Kind of a wierd feeling. Now, I have a delima with my crossover. My truck squats some on the right side when the steering is centered (wheels). I have turned the wheels left and right and let it rest at full turn and the body actually sits different thruought the steering arc. So, do I need to adjust my draglink to fix this problem? Anyone have this issue with crossover? I call it the Weeble affect since we have Wobble already. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm fairly sure that's just an effect of the caster built into the front end Neil. My Jimmy does that with stock/forums/images/icons/blush.gif front to back steering.

Rene

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

If you jack your front end off the ground and cycle the steering you should have 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. If that checks out then you have the ratio problem that Rene was talking about. You either need a longer center to center pitman arm or a shorter steering arm on the knuckle.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You've got the Avalanche arms ritght? Maybe the drag link is one hole too far out?

8. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. I found that my drag link was to short. I got a longer one and it cured the problem.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Weeble - Wobble ....that's hilarious!
    Thankfully, I haven't fell down yet.
    Actually, I used the Trailmaster pitman arm and a Tri- County steering arm. Mine hits the stops on the D44 before the box runs out of stroke.