Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post fender trimming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

What do people use after they trim thier fenders to prevent rust? I know alot of people might not have to worry about rust with no winter and all but my truck is drivin daily in the snow and all and I was considering trimming my fenders due to some real nasty body work previously done on the truck, which is starting to crack. Also I have some rust on the lip of the fendwell which I might just cut out. Its just floating around my head right now but what do you think? I think it might look dumb with the 33s but am planning on getting 36 if the moneys there next year. How would I seal it?
    Heres where I'm thinking of cutting... http://www3.telus.net/K5Blazer/fendercutting.jpg

2. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

trimming your fenders like that will look just fine if your worried about rust just call hanneman and run their fiberglass it would look way better to. and they are cheap.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

due to my lack of funds cheap to me right now is anything under $100, anything over is out of the question but maybe in the somewhat distant future. Would I have to use a body saw or could I just break out the sawzall?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I didn't cut all the way around the wheel well like some guys, I only cut the front part and the back part of my fenders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

But then he would have to paint the fender,

If I were you I would go to napa and get there black door edge molding [10.00 for about 20 feet, then before you put it on take a sponge and apply some paint on the exposed edge then add some adhisive inside of the door edge molding with a serenge or some thing.

The molding has adhisive in it already but it sucks, also the molding will protect you or others from the sharp edge, will feel better if you hit you head on it, and it wont split you head open...ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Also I found edge molding at a few paint supply stores if you need a selection /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

you can see on my pic that mine is cut at the same place as yours already, I would just like to get rid of the unsightly rust and cut the rear where its starting to crack, before the truck cuts her own fender /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Did you just leave yours or did you seal it somehow?
    I'm a little concerned about using a sawzall on to make corners I guess I could just grind it round if it looks too bad.

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I painted the edge of the cut with the black Dupli Color Truck bed coating(aprox. $8 a can) and it held up pretty good. I taped the cut area of with masking tape and painted aprox. half inch up on the fenders where I cut. Since then I had my truck painted so of course now it doesn't look like that anymore..

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use a Jigsaw to cut the whole thing and mask it off.

I used a sawzall and did mine freehand.

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thats what I was thinking of doing, using so bedliner in a can and spraying a little above the cut line.
    I though about the edging but don't think it would hold up to the mud very well.
    I am not expecting to completely stop the rust but slow it down quite a bit.
    There aren't any cut fender rigs around town (still stuck in the 80s where rigs were lifted for show). But a couple months ago I was out of town and seen a nice long box with 38s on a 6" lift, bobbed bed and the fenders cut above the lip, looked awesome but he was running 38s not 33s.
    Thanks for the tips so far.