Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post lift blues, Horrible sound when breaking hard - need help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Oct 20, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, my post 4"+ lift blues have set in. The squeeks have started but that is OK. The problem is now whenever I break HARD, like in an emergency, I have a HORRIBLE sound that until recently has eluded me. I thought it was the brakes but it make the same sound when you drop your driveshaft or hit it with a metal tool. That makes NO SENSE though. Yesterday, I heard a sound from my NP208 and it turned out the fluid was very low. I also found the underside was covered with TC oil. I refilled the unit and over the day (today) it drove a few miles and alot of TC oil came out again. Can the two be related???? I have not lengthened my driveshaft yet. Could the driveshaft slip yoke have slipped inside the TC - maybe causing the splines to be be ground down??? ANY ideas????

I am at my wits end with this. I am about to go and get a spare TC just incase my goes tits up. Or, cound the sound be made by bad bearings in one of the front hubs???? I am up for any suggestions.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a possible solution for your noise when braking. (This happened to me) On both the front and back, right after I installed my lift, anytime I would brake/accelerate, I would hear some weird popping noises. This was my axle sliding around on the springs/springs sliding on the mounting surface. Although the axle wasn't able to move a whole lot, that amount of weight sliding made a terrible noise. So, I got down there and cranked on the u-bolts. Noise went away and everything is solid now. (Leave it to Wisconsin to rust everything solid after a year) Just a thought.