Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post-lift steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, May 9, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

As most of you know I just put a 6" lift on my '87 Jimmy. Now the question is, what the hell happened to my steering wheel?? It was straight before we put the steering arm on and now it's almost upside down when I'm going straight. It's more of a 90 degree turn, but the stupid question is......what do I do about it?? Thanks

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

two options, disconect you steering shaft from your steering box and rotate it or even easier to pop your steering wheel off and rotate it! Your steering geometry has change so that is what caused you wheel to rotate!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I thought tht the drag link was adjusted to get the wheel back straight. Am I way off base...?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep. I adjust the drag link to fix the steering wheel. Its easy.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Hey, if it helps, Advance auto & autozone sell tie rod & pitman arm adjusters. They are just over $10. Or what I did was sprayed lots of pen. lube into the opening and loosend up the bolts and used vice grips. I like the tool better tho. Much easier.

Don't tighten the bolts until you drive it around the block to check the wheel. You may want to even carry the tool with you. I did.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. charliel

charliel Registered Member

Taking the steering wheel off or taking off the pitman arm and turning the steering box does nothing to fix your real problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but your turning radius to the right is huge.
    You have to adjust the linkage from the pitman are to the steering arm. That's the one with the adjusting sleeve on it. Your pitman should be about 90degrees from the frame. Then fine tune it to get your steering wheel straight. Let me know if this helps.

77 Jimmy High Sierra

7. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I would have too ask when was the last time you had an alignment.You'r steering wheel moved because even with a new raised arm i bet the angle that the drag link is steeper then it was before.I think that steering like brakes are a major safety item not only for you but others if it's not properly setup.Take it and have it aligned probably should before you waste the new tires you get to put that 6" lift to work anyways.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Alll you need to do it adjust your draglink. The draglink is located behind the left side tire and runs from the arm coming off the steering box (which is mounted on the frame) and runs towards the back of the vehicle to the steering arm (which is mounted on the axle).
    Get on a flat surface and drive the truck straight forward (so the tires are going straight). Then loosen up the bolts (clamps) on each end of the adjusting sleeve and turn it. The weight of the vehicle will keep the tires from turning, so the steering wheel will be moved. Keep adjusting it until the steering wheel is straight....just make sure you are adjusting it the correct way.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Opps, Sorry I had assumed you adjusted the draglink allready.
    When I did my lift I adjusted it by turning in a circle one way and then the other and adjusted the drag link until both directions were the same size circle. After that I still had to pop off the steering wheel to make it 'straight'!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin