Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post Mud Race Report

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The show was a disorganized clusterfawk of the highest order.

I won my first round heat, beating a lifted Jimmy that looked really familiar.........Maybe Chris672's old rig???????????????????? Of course my lane choice had a lot to do with it. I came out of the pit and the funniest thing was that I entered a mud race, but I had no mud on the truck. Blink

Second round, I "lost" to a gay IFS Chevy. Of course lost is in a gray area since it appeared to me and Jason that I had pulled away from the guy at the end, but the "official", who hopefully will make it out of Tulare tonight without getting his ass kicked said the gay truck won............... Mad My brother-in-law running his Cherokee even got screwed, more clearly than I did............

Oh well, I should have some pics up on Monday and Jason took some video and I think he got the first round run in-car style.....................

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know what you mean. The people that run the mud bogs here Suck in the first eleimination round I ran against a Checy pickup with a 502 and 42" bogger's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I didn't advance.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I know what you mean. The people that run the mud bogs here Suck in the first eleimination round I ran against a Checy pickup with a 502 and 42" bogger's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I didn't advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first round, my lane was almost completely dry (pays to check the track before hand) and the other guy had to deal with some mud. My tires hooked up pretty quick and it was no big deal.

Second heat, since it was so f'n cold out there, I was suffering from some mind freeze and almost didn't powerbrake before the start, and even then I only wound up to about 2 grand before the flag dropped. It looked to be neck and neck and this time around after the goofballs screwing off, I had actually mud to deal with. Maybe 30 ft. from the end, I could tell we started pulling away and Jason said the same thing, but I couldn't tell. I drove up to the so-called official and he said gay truck beat me.

So I rolled back to the infield and started asking around and everyone said it looked like I took it. About the same thing happen to my brother-in-law. Another truck was out there, I guess it was the local skinhead crew with them that was right next to us and they were looking for somebody's a** after the "official" said they lost. Kind of looking like there would be some violent actions, but things calmed down.

My bro-in-law said that last year, the guy had a laser at the finish and there was no doubt in who won.

In the end, a EB that was a built mud racer won the V-8 class handlily.......

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah in mine I lost, but a 78 Blazer eneded up winning. Beating out the $50,000 truck that eliminated me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So fawkin funny to see a truck like that get beat, but at least he uses it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not trying to be an ass or something, but who really cares? When I go to the mud bogs, I'm not expecting to win. I just go to show off for the crowd and I do it once a year. Win or lose, it's a good time talking to the guys in the pits, wrenchin on your rig for that one time a year when you get to put your truck in the mud for the entire local crowd to see.

Big deal, you lost to some truck this year. Go back and spank his ass next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not trying to be an ass or something, but who really cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

We know you're not trying to be an a** Tim cause you were born that way or your boyfriend still refuses to let you be the man in your relationship. Don't know, don't really want to hear about your Springeresque problems, but if you don't have anything sustantial to add, you really need to follow the guidelines of the STFU principal............................

Now with that out of the way, I'm there to have fun, but by God it's unAmerican to go racing without wanting to win......................... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am not trying to be an ass or something, but who really cares?

We know you're not trying to be an a** Tim cause you were born that way or your boyfriend still refuses to let you be the man in your relationship. Don't know, don't really want to hear about your Springeresque problems, but if you don't have anything sustantial to add, you really need to follow the guidelines of the STFU principal............................

Now with that out of the way, I'm there to have fun, but by God it's unAmerican to go racing without wanting to win......................... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Really know.

[/ QUOTE ]but if you don't have anything sustantial to add, you really need to follow the guidelines of the STFU principal............................

[/ QUOTE ] I'll try to keep in mind that you feel that way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now with that out of the way, I'm there to have fun, but by God it's unAmerican to go racing without wanting to win.........................

[/ QUOTE ]

.....and Bubba nails another one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What are the "rules" at the ones you've been to? The ones around here are all times... basically racing against time more so instead of against the guy in the other lane. Is it a basic elimination race then where the winner of each paired run continues on to the next run?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then next time, you need a big block capable of 8000+ RPM, a 4,000 stall torque converter in a TH 400, 37x13 Boggers in the rear and 38x11 Boggers in the front, 1 tons, and welded diffs front and rear. Then if you lose, you can be disappointed. Now, it's no harm done. You weren't even going to enter at all because of mismatched gears, you went, had a good time, and even beat one truck. That's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if ya ask me.

I just enjoy going. It's a good time. Drink a few beers or something....don't get all wound up just because you didn't win.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the "rules" at the ones you've been to? The ones around here are all times... basically racing against time more so instead of against the guy in the other lane. Is it a basic elimination race then where the winner of each paired run continues on to the next run?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first one, so I can't really qualify an answer for you, but last night's races were side by side elimination, first one to the line or whoever the official called. From everything I have heard, all the races around this area are ran that way.

I'll be honest, as much as I earn to race; I won't ever run in something ran by this promoter again even though I had a blast racing.

Here are my reasons..................

The whole event was just a big clusterfawk. There were no flyers and I had to get all my information from my brother-in-law, who works at a local shop.

All contestants for all the events (there was also a tough truck contest and a burnout comp, both of which were jokes) were supposed to be registered and in the pits by 5pm. At 7pm, when the show was suppose to start, there was still a line of contestants at registration coming in. I don't know if you have spent anytime around a sanctioning body bigger than the local guy, but all of my experience, if you don't get tech'ed and registered by a certain time, you ain't running, period.

There was a drivers' meeting, funny thing is though it was never announced and a bunch of people, including myself never heard anything about it until after the fact.

Safety regulations..............We were told that all contestants had to have helmets. About 3/4 had helmets, but people without helmets still ran. One of the tough truck entries were building the cage, well if you can call it a cage, in the pits. I could continue on about how messed up the whole tough truck thing was, but I'll refrain; I'll let <font color="orange">willyswanter </font> post the video of them lifting the Jeep out of the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

There were actual classes in the mud drags. 4 and 6 bangers ran against each other, then all the trucks with 8 cylinders were in the same class. Yes, there was a small chance that I could have been running against the EB that was setup specifically for the mud. They should have broken the 8 cylinder class down a little bit more. Have a Stock Class and a Modified Class. Of course the Modified Class would probably have had all of about two people in it, but it should have been even across the board as one can make it.

As for the actual race itself, the problems I had with that.

First was the lanes itself. When I got there, I went up there to check them out with my brother-in-law. He checked the depth, which was maybe a foot deep at most, and that was at the wettest point on both lanes. The other lane had actual dry spots while this lane had a lot of water in it. I guess they couldn't have been bothered with grooming the lanes any better to even it up a little bit.

At the start line, I had to look out my rightside wing window to see the starter /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. At the end, there was another guy there calling the winners, well if there was any doubt, a guy had to drive up to him to get his call. I guess I've already expressed my opinions, and those of other racers about his call making ability, maybe the NFL can hire him as a referee.

All in all, while I had fun actually partcipating in a sanctioned race for the first time, I would rather pay double the entry fee and get whupped in the first round racing for a promoter that was professional, that had organization and didn't let the crap that went on last night happen and I won't ever enter another event put on by this guy.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like some of the promoters here. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Some will be good, some will be a wast of time. Sounds like you might have the bug now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like some of the promoters here. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Some will be good, some will be a wast of time. Sounds like you might have the bug now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I have the bug, though it was a lot of fun catching air at the end...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

In all honesty, even though to everyone it looked like I won that second heat that I got jobbed on; my powerbrake at the start sucked and I didn't get a good start. If I had that dialed in like I should have, then the questions would probably be non-existant............. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Tim, Tim, Tim.... Please don't talk about stuff you have no knowledge of. There's no NEED for Big blocks and you really don't want 1 ton gear for mud drags the lighter the better. If you haven't noticed I don't post alot. Yes I know quite a bit and if I have alot of info about something I'll post up... only if I am positive about what I'm talking about. So, if you don't know what your talking about all I can assume is your being an [darn]! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...only a foot deep had to be interesting. If ya ever see the pics of my truck bogging, the back end is sunk to the hubs when it's climbing out of the pit, and on Sunday when they did the actual bogs, the pit was deeper yet.

16. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Mud drags and mud bogs are two different animals and usually require two totally different setups.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim, Tim, Tim.... Please don't talk about stuff you have no knowledge of. There's no NEED for Big blocks and you really don't want 1 ton gear for mud drags the lighter the better. If you haven't noticed I don't post alot. Yes I know quite a bit and if I have alot of info about something I'll post up... only if I am positive about what I'm talking about. So, if you don't know what your talking about all I can assume is your being an [darn]! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Having been involved in mud bogs for three years and knowing what Boggers do to a D44, I totally disagree with you. You might have a different idea of what it takes to win, but EVERY time I've been to a mud bog, the winner has always been a rig with lots of horsepower, 1 ton gear, an automatic, and lots of stall so it launches like a rocket.

No knowledge of? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Rock crawling, definitely no knowledge. Mud? That's basically what I've been doing the last four years. Only recently have I become interested in other types of wheelin'.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mud drags and mud bogs are two different animals and usually require two totally different setups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually we refer to anything that isn't traveling through deep mud as "Dirt" drags, not "Mud drags". I've personally never heard of "Mud dragging" unless you're referring to the little dragster looking cars with grooved tires and tons of horsepower. I can't imagine racing against one of those in a fullsize truck.

Edit:

Looking back I don't see myself ever using the phrase, "Mud drag" at all.

19. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm new to rocks...ran mud drags with my brothers for years. Have you ever heard of the NMRO ? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif And yes, mud bogs require big horse power and big tires witch usually require big axles. Mud drags is usually a pit thats around 200-300 feet of mud thats anywhere from about 8" to 16" with a solid clay bottom. and the dragster looking cars are the very upper classes of mud drags.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ahh I understand now.

Definitely don't know shi* about mud "dragging" as you call it. Have heard of NRMO and have seen some of the rigs, but that's drastically different from the kind of mud racing that I've done where the pit is 4' or so deep.

That's why I was like, WHAT, it was only 12" deep, what's up with that?