Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Post pics of your inboard shock setup!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 10, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, In the next few years, as I save my monies, I'm going to be building up the blazer, and was planning on inboarding the shocks. For future references can you post some pics up of your inboard shocks and how you mounted them, and how they work! Also what brand/kind of shocks you run with the set-up. Thanks 'all /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    I purchased The MOO rear shock relocator from a member here and run 12 inch Bilstein 5150's. My truck has a five inch lift with these on the rear and 2003 F350 shock towers on front, with 14 inch Bilstein 5150's as well. I love the ride, it's soooo smooth. I haven't had it on a ramp yet but I'm sure it has helped some with the articulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

what the? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif try this....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There, that's better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Does mounting the shocks inboard with this kit affect the handling characteristics at all? more side to side sway? more bounce?

5. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

If anything, it rides better. As far as more flex, I haven't had it on the ramp yet. I still need to remove my bumpstops, as on full compression they will hit my shock. (I just haven't had time to fab up a replacement.) /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    one more thing. I have my shocks reversed with the reservior up top. It's recommended by Bilstein and I think a stray rock or branch will cause less damage that way.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my blazer using the bilsteins and a MOO setup. When you say it rides better do you mean on the street or off road because mine is my daily driver with really soft custom springs and I dont want it to be all over the road or hard to control.

7. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

My truck is a DD too. After the shocks and shock mounts, My truck did MUCH, MUCH, better on and off road. But first let me explain what I upgraded from. I had stock shock mounts, Rancho 5000 something shocks, on a 4 inch lift spings front and blocks in the rear, and old bushings all around. My truck would wander a bit on the highway and had a little play in the steering wheel, but ball joints are new.(just figured it was time to replace the bushings or rebuild my power steering set up) The ride was rough, and cornered poorly. Off road, the ride was even worse, and this is while taking it easy as I still have my ten bolts. Over the last year or so I have been slowly getting the things I needed to do this upgrade.(I'm not rich and pretty busy) I took three days,(I work slowly too) and broke down my rear leafs, sanded and painted with POR-15, put in new anti-friction pads (54 cents each) and put in new ORD poly (greasable) bushings and zero rates all around the truck. Oh and shackle flips too. I then did the MOO rear shock relocator with 12 inch Bilsteins. I was given 2003 F350 front towers and figured I'd try them istead of hunting down the ones most people use.(free is good) With these towers I was able to use a 14 inch travel Bilsteins. So, to be really honest, I can not tell you what made the most difference, likely it was a cumulative effect, but it rides soo nice. I haven't noticed any downside to these mods as of yet and think it was well worth the $$$. Articulation seems to have increased drastically too, again most likely a cumulative effect.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for the pics, anyone else?

9. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Just one more thought. Did you see, (I'm sure you did,)Steve's write-up on Rancho shocks? It included rear in-board mounts. If not...Racho Review

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I remeber seeing that, just forgot, thanks for the link /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Here's mine. Taken last weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

doug how does your truck ride on the road with that setup?

what shocks are you usging?

i want to do this too but i dont want it to sacrifice onroad handling.

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]