Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Potato Cannon...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TruckNutzDude, Nov 6, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Fired off the potato gun for the first time today. I used a 6 foot barrel made of 2" plastic pipe and y style connector at the base with a screw on cap. I used a lawnmower spark plug and a grill ignitor to fire it off. Hair spray seemed to work the best... anyways it was a blast. Just wanted to make another post today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyone else have a potato cannon with some cool tricks??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Use a quick spritz of Ether. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When you get a chance, take some pics of it. I want to build one eventually, but I dont know if I should use metal or plastic for it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

white rain hair spray always worked the best for me

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

spray o2 and a probane butain mixed canister spryed in there makes it deadly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Aqua Net.....and a Coleman lantern striker.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All I needed was the grill ignitor. Just run a wire in the chamber and split it at the top. It works everytime and yes whiterain and aquanet work best and are the cheapest and if you ever wanna just clean out the barrel real good go with starter fluid hehehehe!!!

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This is mine....

The one on the left is the first design, the one on the right is the 2nd and much much more succesful design. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The big one has a 2" diameter .049 wall 6' barrel. The combustion chamber is 3 pieces of 4" .065 tube sectioned in half and re-welded together. The reducer thing I had to fab together by hand using pieces of sheetmetal. The ignightor is a flint latern ignitor. The end has a 2" threaded nipple welded on. And a 2" cap to cover the hole. Use starting fluid almost always. It's LOUD too. Waaaay louder than any PVC gun I've ever used.

Here's a couple pics of my buddy and I shooting the first design gun..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I frickin love these things....I giggle like a little girl when I shoot them. This is a cool little thing to do...Cut a hole in the end of the spud and put one of those chem light/glow stick things in there, then fire it off at night. Soooooo cool to see a glowing green spud launched into orbit.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i used a 1 1/2 barrel on mine made them go alot farther, and i also used a piezoeletric grill lighter, never getts wet and always works!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    i want to find some pipe that is teh exacte id as a golf ball, take that thing to the range. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cut a hole in the end of the spud and put one of those chem light/glow stick things in there, then fire it off at night. Soooooo cool to see a glowing green spud launched into orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY NOW!
    That is a "TracerSpud" and I trademarked it about 5 years ago. I put the light stick in the base or rear of the spud. It is so cool! I'm not greedy, you can keep using it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I shoot mine with a compressed air cannon with a 74" barrel. I've yet to see a 'burner' gun that can match it's distance. I'm sure it's possible, just none of those I've seen could do it. At 150psi the spud goes almost out of sight. I chucked up the barrel when I was still at Chico State (school project ya know...) and cut an 11 degree crown on the muzzle (AR-15/M-16 crown angle).

I recently acquired 500 27mm OD Superballs, so now I'm thinking........

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

WHOA! GAINT SUPERBALLS! I WANT A FEW!

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not giants, these are the ones you get out of the $.25 machines.
    Get them here.
    These are more spendy, but they GLOW in the Dark. Too bad it doesn't say what size they are. "TracerBalls"?

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You guys all have way too much free time on your hands... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I think I'm getting some new ideas though. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

What does the coleman lantern ignitor look like so I can go pick one up this week and start another project?

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Superballs are a defining aspect of my soul, thank you

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

17. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Try using propane instead of hairspray, KABOOM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    spray o2 and a probane butain mixed canister spryed in there makes it deadly

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this, and I also used acetylene - holy crap! I had a plastic(PVC) pipe gun with the coleman sparker thing..of course i used a crap load of glue, but MAN! it flew about 1/4 mile, and the explosion cracked the glue in all the seals. I retired the gun after that....but WOWWY! and talk about loud!

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

R.J.: welcome.

I wrapped the reservoir of my air cannon with woven Kevlar just in case we did manage to over pressure it. Don't need to be picking chunks of PVC out of my body.

Years ago a friend welded a cap on some muffler tube and tapped it for a spark plug. A little gasoline in the tube, a little gasoline on the tennis ball, a little compressed air in the tube, and QUICK shove the ball all the way down. Attach coil lead to spark plug and.....
    Can you say marginally flaming tennis ball hell bent for leather on achieving orbit?
    Retired that thing when the tube split.

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I made one a while back. Used a 6" sewer Y reduced to 2" PVC. I put a bevel on the end of the barrel so it would cut the potato while you jammed it down. I also found it useful to drill some relief holes about 3/4 the way down the barrel. Sure, you lose some velocity, but the accuracy makes it all worth the while.