Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Potatoe cannons....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, May 7, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

We've all seen or heard of the spud guns made from PVC. I had one for a bit that I used to entertain myself with for hours. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Then I built one out of some scrap tube at work..Combustion chamber was too small, so the spud wouldn't go far enough. I made a new one today. The old one on the left..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5' barrel on the new one. I cut 2 sections of 3.5" .069 wall tube in half the long way, and welded 3 of the sections together for a larger combustion chamber. Used some other parts from work to fab the "reducer" from the combustion chamber down to the 2" barrel. I still have to drill a hole in the side to mount the flint lantern striker/ignitor. Then cut a hole in the end for a large threaded piece of pipe to weld in. Thats for a place to shoot the starting fluid. Then a threaded pipe cap to seal it all up. Can't wait to test it out...lol! THe old one was pretty frickin loud...I can't wait to see how loud this one is... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Here's a couple pics of my buddy and I using the old one...

Joey-
    [​IMG]

Me-
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We must have been lazy but we played with golf balls in a waterballoon slingshot... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Oh yeah... those things look wild! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Zeus33rd

I always had fun hitting golf balls with aluminum bats...Barry Bonds? Ha! lol /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

OH YEEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!! REDNECKS AT PLAY!!!!!!I FEEL AT HOME!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifFawkin redneck.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I love those things. I have on back home that I made when I was like 12 or so. Those things are so much fun.

Nick

7. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

LOL Yeah those things are pretty awesome. Only the one we made had a tube just big enough for a golf ball. Man those things fly.

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea mine was just big enough for a lemon or lime. Called it the Lime Launcher. These things are illegal now. Did yall know that?

9. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah they are considered illegal fire arms....Taz

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A guy that I work with has one. He uses cheap hair spray for the propellant, I think it is Revlon.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I thought spud guns were always illegal...

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

They werent in Texas untill the classified them as Zip guns.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Interesting, i had a flat tire several years ago outside of Tucson,AZ. and a county cop stopped to see if everything was ok, unfortunately i had left the tire iron at home, so he lent me his, he opened the trunk and he had one in there, he said he goes out in the middle of nowhere and plays around with it. Probably confiscated for his own pleasure. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Potatoe cannons....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dan Quayle's in the house /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Just messin' with ya. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You have the sickness Joe. I knew there was some reason I liked you. Those are the sniznit. My bud made two of them out of PVC pipe. We take them to Nevada and the kids have a great time with them. Even the tree hugging save the whales Birkenstock wearing fruit loops oughta be happy we are shooting biodegradable substances out into the boonies to supplement the food supply for the small desert creatures to feed on..................

Just before we blow them into little tiny bits with our Mini-14's...........

16. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    yea mine was just big enough for a lemon or lime. Called it the Lime Launcher. These things are illegal now. Did yall know that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...I know they're illegal. Hasn't stopped me yet. Probably won't either. lol..

Until I get caught atleast /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I always wanted to put a potato in, and put some metal screen over the end of teh barrel to see it I could shoot out french fries. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif it truly would be fast food /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'd like to coat some tennis balls in lighter fluid and send them out over the lake at night. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I haven't tried this yet but if you take some 0000 stel wool and unravel it a bit and then pin it to the potato (on the ass end) before sending it down the barrel, when you fire the cannon, the steel wool will ignite, making it look like a tracer at night.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, i need to find the web page for that guy that had the bowling ball mortar again... he could fire a 10 lb ball over 600 meters with it. now THAT is a home-made cannon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j