Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poudre Canyon Fire

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Capman2k, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Anyone know how far into the canyon the fire is or has burned? Some of my favorite camping is along Highway 14, and I was planning on going up there quite a bit this summer, like every chance I get... But if my favorite campgrounds and stuff are burned up, I might just have to go fight for some spots around Estes park...

http://www.larimer.org/emergency/PicnicRock0331.jpg I found this pic actually... I'll see if I can find it on my atlas...

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's amazing what searching on your own can turn up... Looking at topozone.com, the fire's actually quite a ways away from where I camp /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I go more around the Rustic area... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Still sucks about the fire though... I hope the jerkoff that started it gets some nice big fines /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

From what I understand some guy confessed shortly after it started going that it was careless & an accident. Not intentional. I still hope the "fry" him!!!

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

All the stories I've read have been saying he was burning trash or something, without a permit, in his yard and it got out of control... By the time the fire department was able to get there it was too late...

Really sucks too, the Poudre Canyon is one of my favorite places to go of everywhere I've been... Hopefully it'll grow back even better /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

There is some great camping further west, not crowded, good fishing. Poudre has always been really crowded when I've been, if you go west past Walden to Routt Ntl. forest (borders Medicine Bow)there are some great areas. drop me a line if you want some great specific sites.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I talked to a guy at the hotel I work at yesterday who was on his way home from fighting the fire... He said it's not really as bad as the news makes it sound (what else is new?), and not much of it was even near the river... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif