Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pouring in the oil....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I finally ditched my old, dead 305....with it's dipstick that was almost touching the firewall... That was a real PITA. I replaced it with a 350, and managed to find a longer dipstick setup so I don't have to crawl into the engine room every fill-up to see how things are doing.

However -- my 'new' 350 has a bit of a leak to it, but checking the oil is no longer a problem.... NOW the problem is getting the bloody oil into the thing. The oil opening is where the dipstick was on the 305.... WAY at the back on the driver's side.

Has anyone heard of a relocation kit of any kind? I'm only running a 2" lift and 31's, but getting in there, even with my super-huge funnel and cheesy JC whitney licence-plate step, is getting old pretty fast. I'm pretty sure I could jerry-rig a tube to the back, or get a mechanic friend of mine to rig up some sort of easy-access hole up front, but I'd like to hear how you guys do it -- I've seen some pretty huge trucks -- 12" inches of lift and more -- how do you guys manage?

I guess I could even pour it down the dipstick tube if I had a small enough funnel, but good luck getting a reading after that. ;)

-Al.

2. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Not to sound stupid or anything, but my 350 has an oil fill in the valve cover. If yours doesn't, then I would suggest changing covers. You can find a cheap set, and your aggrevation would be over.

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

go buy $10 worth of valve cover seals and flip the covers around to the otherside so the fill hole is on the passengerside front where it belongs. Then hit the junkyard and find a mid 80's GM v8 anything and get the fill tube extension. It twists in like a cap

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Logan

Logan Registered Member

Sweet -- That's what I'm after -- Thanks, Grim! I wasn't sure if i could just flip the valve covers around like that... I figured they'd be one-way-only. Heheh, I've already got the Mid 80's GM V-8 something, but no fill tube extension. ;) Gonna have to go searching.

Off to the bone yard...

-Al.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine pours in on the passenger valve cover, too.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about where your dipstick tube goes into your engine block ? God, I hope not. If you're trying to fill it there no wonder it's a bitch. All of them fill on the valve covers.

L8r,

.Riz.

8. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I think everyone is missing the point.. Wouldn't the best solution be to find where teh damn oil is leaking and fix it and only have to put in oil when you do charnges? That seems smart to me at least. Guess I always try to find the difficult way to do everything.

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

9. James

James 1/2 ton status

Ya know I had girlfriend who once poured oil in her radiator.(lol). Needless to say I taught my wife 8 years ago where to pour the oil in HER car, I also taught her how not to even think of pouring oil into the 73k5. Taught my dog though

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

where can i get one of those oil fill tubes for the front of the manifold?

Knife.

11. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim! I forgot about the extension! Thanks for reminding me...now off to the bone yard I go!