Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pouring White Smoke...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Nov 10, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I just drove my 1986 Toyota SR5 with the 22re engine in it, and it is pouring white smoke. This is a sign that it is burning coolant right? I figured it would when it got warmed up, but it didn't. Everywhere I drove there was a huge white cloud behind me. I know that it burns coolant and oil, but it is my DD while the Blazer is awaiting the new axles and lift. It also just started dying on me tonight. I drove it over to my girlfriend's house and as soon as I got there it just died. I turned it back over and drove to the stop sign and it died, then I drove it down and turned around and it died, then was parking it and it died. Didn't die at any of the stop lights on the way over, just seemed to do it once it was semi-warmed up. The idle is lower than normal at about 600 as opposed to the normal 800. I just drove it probably 200 miles round trip yesterday, and none of this was a problem. Most of the driving was in 5th gear at about 2800-3000 rpms, and I did take it for a little bit of mudding, but nothing serious at all. No deep mud, just enough to kick up a little bit and only for like 2 minutes. What is going on with this thing? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    And yes, I understand that it is not about a Blazer, but it is my Blazer while the real one is out of commission.

2. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

My first thought would be a blown head gasket. Had the same thing happen with a 390 in a 76 f-250.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    My first thought would be a blown head gasket. Had the same thing happen with a 390 in a 76 f-250.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i am thinking the same thing it sure does sound like a bad headgasket get it fixed now before it does more damage /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. my Ford ended up hydrolocked in Pendleton Oregon...

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Figured that was probably what it was. How would I be able to check to make sure that it is the head gasket, or are you just telling me that it is? Anyway to be 100% sure?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

check to see if there is coolant in the oil you can also do a compression check and see if there is a big drop in compression on any of the cylinders

7. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

The only way I know to be sure is to pull the head. I can't think of any other way water would be getting in there. There isn't any water jacket in the intake for the 22re is there? Honestly I'm not sure.

Wow, reading over this, it was a completely useless post. Sorry man.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a coolant system pressure test will also indicate a failed head gasket if it fails to hold pressure...

9. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

Might also be that the head is warped slightly, if you pull the head then make sure you check it and if the tolerances are off then take it to a machine shop. 22RE heads are a pain in the arse to pull compared to some engines and it's worth being sure it's not warped before you put it all back together again.

10. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

you could pull the plugs and then crank it over and see if any coolant sprays out of the spark plug holes.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is something called a block tester that they rent at auto parts stores. I believe it looks for exhaust gasses in the radiator and the fluid turns from blue to yellow. Try that.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

the 22r motors are known for the timing chain guides/tensioners failing making the chain loose and in turn wearing the timing cover through to the water pump passages,in turn mixing water with the oil.
    If you think the head gasket is to blame on a toyata 4 cyl. take it to a shop that has 4-5 gas analizers for exhaust emmisions. drain about 1-2 quarts out of the rad. when the motor reaches running temp. then run the engine with the analizer probe at the radatior cap opening, there should be NO HCs present in the fumes coming out of the rad. if there is HCs then you have a gasket failure between a cooling passage and the combustion chamber, or a crack in the head or cylinder wall.