Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

powder coat bbq

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Mar 2, 2006.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so what would happen if i powder coated my parts and instead of using an oven i put them in the bbq? how hot do those thing get?(gas)

i know your not supposed to put in in the kitchen oven but it the only oven i have and things have turned out nicely. i just dont know the health effects. so i was thinking the bbq:haha:

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You dont want to use a BBQ because you will have heat on mostly one side, not to mention all the contaminants you would have. The piece needs constant heat around 400 degrees. If you cook it in BBQ you wont be able to use the BBQ for anything else. My advice is to get and old oven for your parts or do like what my Dad did and buy a kiln off ebay for 20 bucks.

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

hmm heat on one side didnt think of that:doah:

do you know about powder coating aluminium?i know it takes less time then steel. i've done a lot of skateboard trucks(alum) and they turn out awsome. but i saw a site that was saying that i have to treat the aluminium with chromate or phosphate stuff before i coat it....i've never had a problem with the skateboard trucks but just wanted to know what others have done.

4. neverendingproject

The thing with aluminum is that you have to pre-heat it because its a porous metal, so preheating it ensures all unwanted gases have escaped. Heat it to a solid 425 or so, pull it out and coat it. about 10 minutes later you have a finished piece.

5. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have to stick it back in the oven after you coat it, or does the heat trapped in the part bake the powder coat onto the part without having to reheat it?

6. neverendingproject

If your only doing one coat, it should be fine. You will see how it looks. If it turns glassy almost immediatly then your good, but if it starts to have a sand-paper like look, stick it back in.

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

but what about nongloss powder. does it turn glossy then back to flat?

8. neverendingproject

You should be able to tell if its melting or not by how smooth it is. Since its flat powder, then you will just have to look to see if its smoothing out. No matter what, if it did not melt, it will look like sandpaper, and feel like it when it cools

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

use a rotisery :haha:

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I would stick it back in the oven for atleast 10 more miniutes. as long as you dont over heat it you wont over cook it. it needs to wet out thoroughly, I dont think just a hot part would be sufficient enough. dont use a BBQ, and use an electric oven and not the one in your house. you dont want to cook in it after you powder coat in one from the toxins left in the oven.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to mention trying to explain what your diff cover, for instance, is doing in the oven....

12. rdn2blazer

here is my garage oven for powder coating, it works perfect. pick one up at a yard sale.

DSCN0053.JPG

13. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha:

my kitchen oven rules but now my lung is growing outside my body. should i stop?:haha:

duh.. preheating the baking pan for mommy.:D

14. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tip. just did some aluminium stuff and it looks great.

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

follow the powder manufacturers recommendation
    400 degrees for ususally 45 minutes...

it will flash in a couple of minutes but not be cooked thru... and wont have the full durability the coating can give... it might look done but it hasnt crept into all the grain strcuture it can without being fully baked

We had a 28' x 10' x 9 ' oven and you could note with an infrared thermometer just when it was going to cook off... and you also could tell cooler spots in the oven and in the piece...
    a piece of sheetmetal heats differently than a casting

powder loves CLEAN aluminum... we acid etched it with a spray wash before coating...
    I used to do triple fades with powder... and then a 5 minute cook off works
    spray one coat... cook 5 minutes... pull and cool.. spray second coat overlapping coating 1.... same cook and cool process,,, on last coat then I would let it roll the whole time...ususally 40 minutes or so...

nice candies or metallics fading into each other was awesome... did alot of frames for arlen ness and the rundy round racers up here...

sold the company because I had a crooked biz partner... what a money maker... 10-50 dollars of powder could make a 1000 dollar day

16. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

then why not try to do something like that again. or something similar?

17. rdn2blazer

you know your a redneck when you try to powder coat in a BBQ. :haha: :haha: :p: ............................................................sorry could not resist.