Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

powder coat wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Nov 12, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Since I now have to buy new rims/tires- I'm thinking of having the rims powder coated, along with my brushguard, tail light guards, and nerf steps- my question is does anyone have there rim's powder coated that has a picture up? I would really like to see it on a rig, before doing it to mine. I like the way it looks on other items, ie the brushguard etc. but not too sure about rims.
    My reason for doing this is becuase then I can get "cheap" rims, that I like the looks of, powder coat them and spend the money I save on MT baja claw radials-- without robbing from peter to pay paul!!

thanks guys
    --Brandy

IF ONLY THE 3 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well after you spend the time to have them sandblasted and powder coated you might be spending the same as buying new ones. Are you just talking about having them Powdercoated black or chrome? I got my chrome mods at about 60 a piece installed. I don't think i could have done the powdercoating phase for that price. At least not in this area.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Im going to have the brushguard, steps, and tail light guards done black and grey- When I was at the 4x4 jamboree in northern VT this summer, a guy had his bumpers done those colors, and they looked pretty cool- my bumpers, are in great condition so I don't want to do those, I am trying to break up the BLACK on the truck, everything is black- I took all the trim off, fender trim, and the trim that goes 1/2 way down the truck, all the way around, major rust factor up here, the only emblems left are the K5 on the fenders, and silverado square's on the rear quarters. I haven't checked on $$ yet, BUT, it will all be done at the same place- painting entire truck, putting on new rocker's, and fixing two rust spots on the rear fenders, along with the powder coating. I am assuming that it wont be that expensive to throw in a couple rims to have done? I have no idea though. This is the first rig we have had to pay for to get done. When John cracked up the 'vette, the insurance company paid for that. But, since you guys have been into this a lot longer than I have you may very well be correct- it may not save me any money, I'm sure there are some nice looking cheap chrome rims that will work, and they may go with the truck a little better, since the bumper's and mirror will match. Remember, this isn't a trail rig, it's my Sunday driver (if I ever get it done)...

Once I get my U-joint fixed, and I can at least drive it, I'm going to take it to the body shop to see what kind of $$ we are talking.. I'll probably cry- but at least the front fenders, and doors dont have any rust to be fixed, and the floors are already fixed. That's one less headache to deal with.

thanks esteban!

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 3 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well Hell if your doing all of that to it, might as well and pay the extra bit and have them match your other parts. I've seen that done before too and think it looks sweet. Also what I've seen is the entire grill painted the same color as the truck. Good luck and make sure you take lots of before and after pics to share with us.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've had three sets of wheels coated. Stuff's really tuff and lasts a long time. The local place here charges $25 per wheel to sandblast and coat a 15 X10. Well worth the extra money if you are doing a ton of stuff.

BIGJ