Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powder coated H1's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfiremank5, Feb 4, 2007.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I got my H1's PC'd last week. I still need to get the studs & nuts cleaned up. They hav ebeen soaking in brake fluid for the last week, so hopefully they will be ready to clean up. They only had about 8 layers of paint on them... lol. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe they'll last a little while longer this way, vs. the rattle can.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Looks great :bow: :bow: !!

What kind of shoes you putting on them?

3. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Those look really good, gloss black right? How much BS do those have?

4. txfiremank5

I'll probably shoot for something like a 38" TSL. Maybe bigger, but not much. I still want to drive it to work here and there etc. I think the biggest issue will be getting everything balanced enough to live with on the road.. but you always have some give and take when you want to run the good stuff. So I'll have to make the best of it.

They have 3.5" BS.

Thanks for the comps. I figured it was wrth the little extra to make 'em look nice, but more importantly, last a bit longer. Seems that my rattle can jobs always seem to scratch easy... like a damn lotto ticket. LOL That may be fine on some things, but I figured not for the wheels. :thumb:

5. txfiremank5

Oh, and yeah, gloss black. Or as the ticket says: mirror black.. not sure if theres a difference.

It cost me right at 30 a wheel, and he did them for me in about 3 hours. Another reason I wanted it done was I had all the old paint removed with a chem dip and soda blast. So, I was afraid the rattle canpaint would cause the O rings to try and stick to the rim after time. I have a few spares, but would rather use them for something other than sticking to the wheel if you know what I mean.

6. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you play in the rocks a bit, you might want to consider a 38.5x14.5x16.5 TSL SX. I used to run a set of those, and those big side-biters sure are handy...

Yeah, from now on I'm getting my parts powdercoated, because my spray jobs never last long enough, and I'm constantly touching 'em up.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

how much did it set you back to get them recentered? where did u buy the centers? looks sweet!

8. txfiremank5

So far my plan is SX's.. but I don't have the space to store them right now. So anything can happen between now and go time. But that's the goal for now. I'd love to get some iroks, but fear the street will eat 'em up too fast. :o

They were recentered by Creative Engineering Off road north of Houston. Muddyblzr took them over for me when he went home for Christmas break. then brought them back after they were done. It cost me 35 a wheel to recenter, and 30 a wheel to rock ring. I got the centers from usa a while back.

9. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    those things look so pretty, i wouldn't even want to wheel them. kuddos.

10. txfiremank5

Perhaps a few rock pinstripes will make 'em look even batter. :thumb:

I just need to figure out what to do with the studs/nuts. I'm sort of leaning towards just throwing some black primer on the studs, maybe a quick coat of black rattle can. But the nuts will be a different story. Paint never seems to hold up under on a nut, with an impact socket .. or even a ratchet. So I may see about having them chromed if I can get it done cheap enough. I just don't want black rims, with rusty nuts... LOL.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Go to the bolt store and get some stainless nuts with the shoulders on them.

12. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Those are sexy, plain and simple. I think boltdepot.com has polished grade 5 stuff that would look nice. Once the rubber needs replacing on my h1s I'm going to tear them down and take a similar route.

13. txfiremank5

Yeah, I'm actually going to try something like that first, just to see what's out there. Since I have the studs out, I figure I can take 'em both along and see what I can find. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm hopeful that I can find something quick if it's out there. I don't really feel like spending a whole day driving all over town.

Besides, I have a few other "bolt" needs, so maybe I can hunt those down while I'm there.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

man thos elook sweet. I was considering have my H1s PCed, but figured it would just get ruined. But the more I stare at yours, I may still do it. My cousin has a race sponsor that does powder coating so I can probably get it done cheap. our first project is the entire subframe out of Dad's 69 Firebird. That ought to look awesome after I fill in any holes in the frame and get it PCed.

15. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

damn, i wish i had the money to do that... guess mine will be gettin the old rattle can :doah:

16. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

The studs are a 1/2" 20 thread nothing special,should be able to find flanged nuts that size I would think.

17. txfiremank5

Well, I coudn't find doodley-squat at home depot... so I guess a trip downtown, or across town will be in order.

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

homedepot is terrible when it comes to nuts/bolts. local hardware store is where the good chit will be at.

19. txfiremank5

I hear that. Unfortunatly, we had a good one close by, but they closed it down around the end of summer. I guess they couldn't compete with the depot etc. The sucky thing was they had super low prices for nuts, bolts, etc.. but I didn't even know it was closing until it was the last day. That place was wiped out when I went in.. so I didn't bother to look around much. It looked like it had been looted. :D :haha:

I got the studs sandblasted today. They looked brand new when I got done with them. Then I slapped a coat of flat black primer on them. I never mustered up the gumption to go downtown today, so I'll go later this week and snag the nuts. I just went ahead and worked on the studs instead. I'm ready to get them done, and move on to something else. :thumb: I'd like to start slapping the 2 years of collected parts on here pretty soon.

20. txfiremank5

Looks like it's a lot harder to find some stainless or well coated flanged nuts. harder than I thought anyway. Best I can find is zinc, which will last a while. But I got one guesstamit quote of around 30.00 to chrome the nuts, which is about what a box of 50 zinc ones will cost. I did have one guy tell me he could get me some titanium ones for 13.50 each ... LOL. Yeah, I bet he could. So, I'll either have to chrome them or settle for zinc.

The hunt will continue.