Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powder coating axles and suspension parts along with a little chrome...

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by rjfguitar, May 7, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been thinking that I want to paint my K5 a charcoal silver instead of black cherry like originally planned. I would like a charcoal silver just a shade lighter than the new chevy pickups. If I do this I would like to color match both axles, springs, skid plates, and any other large undercarriage parts. I plan on chroming the anti sway bar, ubolts and blocks, shocks, and maybe my drivelines if I don't match them silver also.

My question is...how durable is a powder coated part vs. durable spray on painted part? What durable "frame" paint is available and if so how does it compare to powder coating and what are the color options?
    The prob is to powder coat the axles I have to completely gut them and provide a bare housing and I haven't messed with differential work much nor do I have the special tools to put them back together right. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not to mention it is $250 per rearend and $50 per spring. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my experience is powder coating is very durable. the only time i have had a problem is on my bike where i wear the paint off the frame with my boots, it takes a while but eventually it wears off

as far as pull the axles apart and putting them back together, as long as you dont loose any shims you shouldn't need to change anything.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

First, I wouldn't chrome the u-bolts. I've been told that the process of chroming weakens the metal.

You should stop by one of your local powdercoating companies. They have brochures with color samples in them to give you an idea of what's available. Some powdercoating suppliers can custom make colors for you and also provide you with matching paint. Cardinal finishes is one of these companies and that's who I chose simply because I could do touch-ups with the matching paint. Powdercoating is pretty durable, I've beat on it with a hammer and it didn't flake off, for what that's worth. Also don't forget that there are different kinds of powdercoating depending on the application. Some are harder, some are softer, some have more resistance to UV rays, etc. Ask your local powdercoater and become friendly with him. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just let them know what you want coated and what your expectations are, they should point you in the right direction.

If you want a durable paint then look into aircraft paint, suppose to be really good, with a price to match ($100/gal). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Personally if I was going to do this I would just paint it simply because of the disassembly and reassembly of the axle. And you have to thuroughly clean out all the grease/oil. If you don't they'll cook in the 400 degree oven and contaminate everything in there. The powdercoater should be able to sandblast the outside for you.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Can I toss out a paint idea I'D REALLY LIKE TO SEE!?

Black base coat, in the first clear coat use a pearl (either white, silver or black), then a second clear coat.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm thinking if I ever find a NICE 2wd Blazer around here I'm going to paint it Dark Metallic Blue with pearl/ghost flames /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm sure its been done to death with the flames thing but its just classic! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-edit- I guess the black cherry is basically the same idea... black with a candy apple over it. I seen a NICE paint job it had a gold base and a candy red over gold, that car just look like it glowed /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. rjfguitar

Hmmm, thanks guys, I am not too sure what to do at the moment. I think I will paint the K5 first and then decide if I am going to have them powder coated or just paint them.

I guess if I took the axles completely apart it would give me a chance to put 4.88's and limited slips front and back.

That would be a lot of $$ though, $500 worth of powder coating, $1000 for R&P's and LS's. I think I am going to go down to the paint shop and see what kind of durable paint is available. It would be a lot easier and cheaper just to strip my rattle can black off the axles and sand blast them, primer them, and spray on some charcoal silver. All it has to withstand really is some dust, normal road grime, and rain. I am going to keep it out of the mud once it's all painted. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess if I took the axles completely apart it would give me a chance to put 4.88's and limited slips front and back

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifWhy spend all that money if you aren't going to "use" it? I know that this dress up is more your thing now that cool with me just wondering why you would drop the monet to go from 4.10's to 4.88's with traction devices if it's gonna be all blingin. With your motor you should be doing pretty good with 4.10's too arent ya?

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess if I took the axles completely apart it would give me a chance to put 4.88's and limited slips front and back

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifWhy spend all that money if you aren't going to "use" it? I know that this dress up is more your thing now that cool with me just wondering why you would drop the monet to go from 4.10's to 4.88's with traction devices if it's gonna be all blingin. With your motor you should be doing pretty good with 4.10's too arent ya?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, it is still fast even with 4.10's but 4.88's would make it a little quicker and then I might be able to lay some good rubber then. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Also I think I could run in 4hi when in the sand then, I think 4.10's and 4hi will bog it down too much pulling the dunes and I have a 241 so my low range is pretty slow. I still pull with it all the time and the LS's would help get more bit when trying to drag stuff around whether it's pull sleds, other trucks, farm equipment around here, etc. I like to pull stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I probably won't do it though, I will probably just pull the axles out, blast them, disk brake conv. for the rear, paint the charcoal grey, and put a metallic clear coat over them to match the paint job. Much cheaper that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

I've done my chassis, differentials, transmission, transfer case, and springs. I was doing a complete rebuild of all components so I had everything stripped down anyway. Once they were apart I took them and had them hot tanked before sandblasting. I priced it all out and the entire process was probably only $200-300 more than a quality paint and primer would have been. I used a grey hammertone on the chassis and a satin black on the springs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rjfguitar

That looks nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Very nice /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Off the subject, but it looks like another member is doing a Vortec swap. Good choice. You'll like it. I would suggest replacing the intake gaskets while you have no cab on it. I wish I would have done mine before I put the engine in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

rjfguitar the true king of bling bling. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Off the subject, but it looks like another member is doing a Vortec swap. Good choice. You'll like it. I would suggest replacing the intake gaskets while you have no cab on it. I wish I would have done mine before I put the engine in. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good eyes Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I planned ahead and did all the gaskets and ground the valves.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    rjfguitar the true king of bling bling. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    And don't forget it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif two thumbs up!

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

na silver trucks are for pussies /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I toss out a paint idea I'D REALLY LIKE TO SEE!?

Black base coat, in the first clear coat use a pearl (either white, silver or black), then a second clear coat.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm thinking if I ever find a NICE 2wd Blazer around here I'm going to paint it Dark Metallic Blue with pearl/ghost flames /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm sure its been done to death with the flames thing but its just classic! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-edit- I guess the black cherry is basically the same idea... black with a candy apple over it. I seen a NICE paint job it had a gold base and a candy red over gold, that car just look like it glowed /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is sorta what I'm planning for the Burb tow rig. Black with gold pearl ghost flames. Not going to go to crazy but I am going to bling it up just a bit. One nice thing is I can do it all myself. Probably going to get a cowl induction hood too and airbrush 454 on both sides in gold. I am also considering painting the wheels gold but not sure how it will look. I like the looks of the Subaru STI's with the black and gold.
    [​IMG]

19. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had my axles powdercoated last summer - they look awesome - the powder I chose has a teflon derivative in it - so nothing seems to stick to it - very cool! It is a single stage powder - I was really tempted to do a second coat of clear for a "candy-pearl" type look - but curing times differentiate so widely for differentials (pun intended) (due to their varying thicknesses) that the clear would yellow in certain places.

As for chroming all that stuff - may I suggest a zinc coating instead? That's what I had my U-bolts done in - it looks very close to chrome and is MUCH more durable - plus you do get the scary hydrogen embrittlement like from chroming... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Check out the pics in my sig for detailed pics...

20. rjfguitar