Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powder Coating???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HillJackCustoms, Sep 5, 2005.

1. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

I was wondering if it is a good idea to powder coat a frame or not. Can powder coat be put on POR 15 or not. And what would be a good price for a whole frame to be powder coated... If i prep it and everything...

2. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

Well i worked at a powdertech place for about 3 years at powertech plus in jacksonville. As far as powder coating goes you can definalty do the frame, i never worked with the prices much, but call this number 1(904)269-1719, ask for howard or kelly, and they will square you away with a round about price. I didnt know what the pod15 thing was, i know when i was there and everytime i see them they have at least 3 frames waiting to powder coated. they cover up all the holes in the frame as well as to not gum up the threads. Make sure you take the frame down to nothing though, dont leave anything on there that wont make it through 350-400 degrees for 30-45 mins. Good luck!

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

frame must be sandblasted to bare metal... powder cannot be applied over por15.... or any other non powdercoat...
    I charged 350-750 for a frame...if you can get it done for the lower number thats a great deal... heck I got 200 for a motorcyle frame

BTW real cost.... about 25.00 in powder... 50.00 labor/elec/gas...
    a good coater will powerwash your frame with a slightly etching solution
    if its not going to be a show truck you might consider wet paint... powder is awesome but touch up is harder (wet paint can match)... to weld you have to remove the coating...

cam

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that to powdercoat you have to strip the frame of anything that can't stand up to the ~400*f oven temp.

I'd go with POR-15. Still have to grind it off to weld, but it touches up easier.

5. HillJackCustoms

how hard is powder coating?? Is it easy to chip or what.. My buddies say do it but im not sure... It would look real nice but how durable is it.. Im doing a frame off restoration on my blazer... I might just do POR-15...

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

there's a guy that hits all the swap meets around here with the POR-15 booth. Roger, he's a friend of my uncle's. great guy to deal with, and uses the stuff on his own projects. the man will never tell you a lie. he's out of Goshen, might wanna check him out. October 9th there's a swap meet at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds, you'll probably be able to find him there.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Powercoating is 35 times harder than paint... applied correctly (and although its easy to do there are pitfalls ,water in the gun,old/contaminated powder, poor prep,dirty spray area, inexperienced coater)
    It passes the military 100mph salt water test etc etc...

If you are using black (and there are many different blacks) you will find it VERY durable (comes in poly and urathane...I recommend poly for outdoor stuff)... (and black should be the cheaper of the colors to shoot because coaters are shooting it all the time)....
    I used to demonstrate by taking two coated 1" tubes and banging them together until they dented ... the coating didnt scratch... that sold most everyone...

I did arlen ness's bike frames for awhile... many of the norcal track racers and stock car guys... we would get 750 for an entire stock car frame
    We could shoot fades..pearls metallics....anything wet paint could do

Powder is shot 4 mils thick... it can usually be recoated one time..after that it has to be stripped with plastic media...nothing else will touch it..plastic media stripping is expensive... we would get 2500 to do a whole car inside and out

it was a MONEY making biz....
    but a crankster employee pool and a less than ethical person for a partner had me out of the biz in two years

cam

8. HillJackCustoms

so would it be worth doing?? Terrain i drive in is mud, sand dunes, and some offroading... If it is hard to chip thats what i want.. I want something to look good underneath the body... I still haven't decided either POR-15 or powder coating. I have the POR-15 now but i saw a frame with powder coat at Barney's 4x4 and i just drooled.. SO help me...

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, I'm going to hijack. What about wheels?

How much prep work does it really entail? Do you have to get all the old paint off or can you just remove rust and call it good?

How do they paint "blind spots" like the back side of beadlock rings on wheels?

10. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

Well with the wheels, or everything for that matter, it has to be bare metel, even is you grind it down we usually just go over it again, so if your trying to save a buck by sanding it your self i wouldnt even bother really. Besides after we strip it we pressure wash it with a hint of, and correct me if im wrong phosphurus, to keep it from rusting untill you spray it, and yes it is very much more stronger than paint and more durable, and unlike paint its alot easier to take care of, no polishing or anything just wash and go.