Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Powdercoating, Rhino-lining, Line-X, etc.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by clubba68, Dec 29, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, as many of you know, I am having T-Roy build me a set of bumpers.
    I am looking for ideas on how to protect them from the elements and to be strong, durable, and good looking. What do you guys recommend, and are there any places that you know of that offer good prices in the Portland/Vancouver area? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I vote for powdercoat. you can get some awesome coatings and it is real durable.
    With that said I will now be going into the garage to put the touch up on my bomb canned bumpers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Also, estimated costs would be nice too.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got a quote on getting 5 rims done for $200...that might give you an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

as much as I like the idea of coating steel (and other stuff!) with Line-X, I think for bumpers powder coating would be the best option, especially if its ever gonna hit a rock (or car!). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any suggestions on shops? I need to call around and get quotes. When I called to get quotes on my axles just for S&G, my quotes ranged from like $350-1200. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Guess it all depends where you go and who you talk to.

7. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Line-X or Rhino Lining will be much more durable than powdercoat for hardcore use.

Powdercoat is durable (I have it on my Blazer's Diffs) but it will scrape off on rocks, etc if
    scraped hard enough.

Powdercoat is available with a Teflon derivative - (which is what I have) - but I have
    not had the opportunity to test its durability first hand in the real world yet. If
    you are only going to be doing mild off-roading powdercoat would be fine.

with their lifetime warranties, I would think Line-X or Rhino would be better -
    so if you scratched them - they could be repaired - plus they are able to be refurbished now
    when the material fades from UV exposure - something that could not be done with powdercoat
    without reapplication.

The only downsides I see to a spray liner type material are the difficulty in keeping clean
    along with its expense of application.

Powder Coating Companies I would recommend are:

Atomic Powdercoat

Portland Powdercoat

P & A Metal Fab

I have no idea what they would charge you for your application.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Line-X or Rhino Lining will be much more durable than powdercoat for hardcore use.

Powdercoat is durable, so is chrome plating (I have it on my Blazer's Diffs) but it will scrape off on rocks, etc if
    scraped hard enough.

Powdercoat is available with a Teflon derivative - (which is what I have) - but I have
    not had the opportunity to test its durability first hand in the real world yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There I fixed it for ya dude /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You bastard! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I have talked to Extreme Coatings on Sandy Blvd about doing bumpers. They have a Line-X type coating that looks pretty good. They only do black or grey and they woud charge a litte over $200 to do a bumper. I have a powder coater near my home, but I haven't talked to him yet. One of those thigs that I need to get around to "Eventually" (LOL Tazz). Hope that helps.
    T-roy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

$200 per bumper?
    Hey T-Roy, have you thought any more about the placement of the front lights whether on the front or after the bend on the sides? I can't make up my mind. Maybe I should ask Jeremy... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm putting Tims front lights in the center section, like each side of the winch fairlead. the sides taper back and will have amber lights for turn signals

13. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Which ever way you want to go. I think they would look better in the center section as far as simatry goes, but might give better illumination on the outsides. Totally your call, but you better hurry, I'm back on them on Friday. I took the dy off work so I can finish them up (As well as to have a day off work... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

14. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Front it is. Don't put them too close to the shackle mounts though. Don't want to make the front end look too bunched up. Front will be good. Thanks.