Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power add-ons for the Duramax

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fad2blk99, Aug 31, 2005.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Just bought an '03 2500HD w/ D-max/Allison, 2wd....

I'm looking for a good power add-on, a programmer to be exact, for my truck. I don't want an insane amount of power or anything, just a safe, reliable performance enhancer. Can you guys recommend one? ..or maybe let me know which ones I should stay away from. I’d like the ability to change programs on the fly, but it those units aren’t recommended then I’ll be fine with the others.

Also… I just slap on a set of 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts (33” tall). The rub a little sometimes on the front valance… is there a good way to lift the HD 2wd’s and inch or two up front?

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have a Predator. Its nice in the fact you can do diagnostics, 5 power levels and change your speedo calibration. I have mine set on 60 HP and am having a hard time getting any better milage :whistle: must be the heavy foot. If I had the cash I would have bought the Edge as it just plugs inline and changes the coputers signals so you can change it on the fly, I have to re-program it takes about 5 minutes every time. I had the 120 HP program in for a second and pulled a trans code from slippage (not good). I suggest you get a Pyrometer with the use of any programers as your EGT's are raised with any of them. The Edge comes with EGT guage. A great place to learn alot about GM diesels is http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php Check it out its a great site. The only problem with all the diesel stuff is I havent been too interested in my K5 since I got my diesel :eek1: .

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I really like the Banks Six-gun... But as I'm finding out, none of the in-line, adjust -on-the-fly programmers will recalibrate the speedo... Are there tranny shops or repair stations who'll do this for me?

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Power adder for the D-max?......how bout a Cummins :haha:

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

:eek1: not funny..... :mad:

actually... the only problem with that "power adder" is that it comes attached to a Dodge.... :doah:
    :wink1:

6. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Power add on

Stay with Edge and or Banks you'll need to get gauges, should be first mod.Also don't get carried away with the power,the stock allison won't hold alot of added power unless you work on it.

P.S I second on the CUMMINS we can always do a conversion.....

Thanks
    CrewCab59 :laugh:

7. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I would strongly recomend Dr. performance, I have one on my 03 Cummins. I did alot of research first so I didn't burn up my $40,000 truck. Dr. performance is not concidered a chip because it dosn't boost your fuel presure to it's limits like most chips do. It just plays with timing and boost and keeps your diesel efficient while giving you performance. If you think about it you buy a diesel to pull heavy loads but most CHIPS don't allow you to pull on higher settings. I got the 100 hp module and my EGTs stay well within reason (700-1000) pulling around 15K. I have had mine on for almost 2 years and love it. My smoke levels are minimal, the new stock cummins 610's smoke more than mine.

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

How’s the mileage w/ the "chip"???... normally I wouldn't really care, but in light of the current situation.... you get the drift... :doah:
    I'd hate to go from 17+ MPG to 10-11... kinda why I'm looking for one that's adjust-on-the-fly... :o

9. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I'm getting better milage than stock, the truck just dosn't seem to struggle as much.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And a better place is www.towrig.com ;) I have mostly forgotten about the k5 too. :doah:
    :haha: :waytogo:

Whats wrong with having a much stouter truck? :screwy: :p:
    Your mileage definantly shouldn't drop, it might even go up some. I would definantly go with the Edge box.

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[open can of worms] You are kidding right? You might have an argument if you were talking about a Superdookie... but a Dodge??? That car company died a long time ago. A Cummins and a solid front axle is the only thing keeping that truck alive...
    And, of course, none of those items are made by Dodge. [close can]

...all in good fun.... :D

Anyway...
    I only ask about milage cuz my cusion put a programmer on his Dmax and his milage dropped considerably... of course I can't believe everything he says.... but I trust you guys... :D even if a copule of you actually "like" Dodges.... :haha:

12. rjfguitar

Obviously....you haven't even been NEAR a later model Dodge before... :D

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah just go slap yerself ;) :haha:

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well just priced builds on '06 trucks.... dodge 3500 4x4 diesel and auto = $38,000 :haha: and chevy 3500 4x4 dieselauto = $31,000 and the duramax is rated from the factory with justa bit more power :p: for a 7k difference and to loose power and to own a dodge :haha: no thanks. but i wont be buying a ne wtruck anytime soon as my old ones run like tops :waytogo: and i could buy 20 of them for the price of a new one :haha:

15. rjfguitar

Oh....boy.....you have a lot to learn..... ;) The current Dmax is NOT more powerfull than the Cummins.

And, I don't know where you got that price quote, the chevies are almost always more than everything else. My guess is you "accedentally" loaded one and base modeled the other...

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

times 2.... :rolleyes: no i was careful to egt both trucks as exactly alike as possible. on the websites of the respective brand. i dont try cheat and give out false info. and factory to factory specs on the motors the duramax has more tq and hp. i am not making things up.

17. rjfguitar

Um, ladies....The current Cummins is rated at 325HP and 610 ft lbs of torque.

The current Duramax is rated at 310HP and 605ft lbs.

I think both of you better double check on your numbers.

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Actually the Duramax is now at 360 Hp, 650 Tq with a 6-spd auto. Hmm, cummins does what now? :rolleyes:

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Oliver > rjf :eek1:

20. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Ladies? WTF.