Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power add-ons for the Duramax????

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by fad2blk99, Sep 1, 2005.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I posted this a day ago on the Diesel page, but there doesn't seem to be as much traffic over there....
    Anyway...
    I just bought a new tow rig, an '03 2500HD D-max w/Allison (2wd). I'm looking for a good power add-on, a programmer to be exact. I don't want an insane amount of power or anything, just a safe, reliable performance enhancer. Can you guys recommend one? ...or maybe let me know which ones I should stay away from. I’d like the ability to change programs on the fly, but if those units aren’t recommended then I’ll be fine with the other flash programmers if they are better.

Also… I just slapped on a set of 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts (33” tall). They rub a little sometimes on the front valance… I've already trimmed it back a little but, is there a good way to lift the front end of the HD 2wd’s an inch or two?

2. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

bully dog dominator with outlook or
    Edge with attitude give it all and add monitoring that is necessary on higher power levels. these monitor EGT levels and trans slippage and will defuel when needed. these are adjustable units that go from 40-200+ HP levels.

if you don't want to get into all the hooking up for any gauges stay at lower power levels like 40 or 65 Horse upgrades with a simple downloader. Actually even downloaders can go up to 200+ horse so be careful what your foot talks your brain into getting here. remember that even 65 horse will add 125 Ft lbs of torque so you will really feel it .
    a downloader runs $300 and a full-on unit runs $800.
    crossy

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I ran the edge with attitude for about a year. It has its good and bad points. It is nice to be able to switch levels but at the same time the allison hates that. It is a "learning" trans. which adapts to driveing habits and power. If you change power levels it shifts like crap until it learns again.

I now have the Diablosport predator. It is a handheld programer with several levels of performance. It has the added bonus of a scan tool as well. It lets you read and clear trouble codes and watch live data as well.

I would invest in an EGT gauge and a heldheld unit myself but eveyone has their preferance.

For more info on all this stuff go to

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

hope this helps

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

On the D-max trucks you will need a Pyrometer gauge at the very least, I would also suggest a boost gauge. You have a trans. temp gauge ion your cluster so your covered there. The way to make power with these engines is to replace the injectors with aftermarket units and use some sort of "box" My recommendation would be the edge EZ as it is easy to use and will be a good starting point for you. You do not have the ability to change settings on the fly but it is a good unit. Those suggestions should give you good power and the ability to reliably tow with the truck. :D

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have 05 Duramax CC dually 4x4. Added the Magna flow 4" exhaust, then saw I nice improvement. Then added the Hypertech and gained 4-5 mpg. That is very nice. I put it on level 2. It has plenty of power and hypertech says you can tow in any setting with no problem. I used the exhuast to help lower the egt's. Next will be a intake from AFE.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

In my research I would either get an Edge Juice Module or a Predator, with gauges for EGT and Boost. Im probably gonna go with the Predator and gauges first, then when I get the trans done I'll stack an Edge or Van Aaken Module with it. Of course you need exhaust too, MBRP makes a nice setup and you can even get the new downpipe from the turbo from them to ditch the Cat.

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I ran the Edge / Attitude for a year or so also. The power from the Dmax /Alli with Edge is really incredible. Could spin the duallies from a stop and chirp them when shifting. The power was addictive and I could not resist running in any setting less than 4/5. My trans began to hate me and started bucking and getting confused at this level. Edge said this setting is not for daily driving:shame: . I ended up taking the Edge out and selling so I would not be tempted by the power:angry1: . It sounds weird I know, but it was an expensive truck to kill the trans on.

Anyway, my lesson learned is to plan on trans ugrades in the future if running really high power.

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

My cousin has a 3/4 hd 4x4 with the DM/Allison setup. He bought the Hypertech power programmer and has been very happy with it. It made a huge difference in the accelleration of the rig when loaded. He hauls a big backhoe on a big gooseneck equipment trailer, and the truck will accelerate like mad even with that load! I have never ridden in a diesel truck that will go like that thing will.

My $.02

Mike

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with a Juice/Attitude combo. It will deliver more power than you know what to do with. You do not need bigger injectors or a different turbo on your truck, the Dmax's like programming better unless you want to get into big power.

I can get you an Edge Juice shipped to your door for a decent price if you are interested.

10. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Im running a Banks six gun on my 05 crewcab short bed i opted for the speed loader to, It also has k&n FIPK kit and is soon to have a banks dual exhaust kit. So far i love it. In first gear it kills part of the power to keep from frying the allison, But when it hits second you better be ready to counter steer!

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No offence, but Banks is a crock. They have some great advertisers working for them for sure though. If you think your 6 gun doobobber is good, you'd love a Juice. No half power in 1st, and full fueling and timing when you put your foot into it. Usually Banks electronics don't add any extra fuel over stock until boost is produced....boring... Edge, bullydog, and BD all fuel much harder than Banks and consistantly lay down the power advertised on the dyno compared to Banks that usually falls short. I'm not saying all Banks is bad, their exhaust systems and other hard parts aren't bad, but there electronics are junk.

Your trans in 1st is about the last spot I'd worry, it's when it hits lock up and overdrive that is the weakest link.

12. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Actually i am a dealer for edge,tst , And banks. your right about the edge juice full fueling, I installed one a few months ago on a friends truck and after a few thousand miles it blew the fuel rail off the duramax. I prefer reliability!

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I know I'm reviving a dead post here... but, you say it blew the fuel rail off??? Was he running anything other than Edge? Did he race the truck or drive hard a max setting a lot?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  14. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

It was stock other than the edge box. He uses it on the farm mostly. The truck has been put back to stock now.

15. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I currently am running a full 5" exhaust, no cat, cold air, and a Predator programmer on my 06 LLY Dmax. Love the predator on all the settings. MPG improved a good bit as well. Next is the Boost/ Pyro guages. I tow a lot and do a mix of highway and in town driving. So far so good, truck really likes it all.

Clay

16. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What MPG was your '06 getting (w/o towing)? ...what are you getting now?

17. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

stock I was getting around 15-17 on the road at about 70 to 75mph. With the predator on 85HP I recently have been getting 19 to 21 on the same trip. Stock towing was around 10-12 back in july when we went to Tellico.(mountains) Towing now is around 17. I am also running larger tires too. H2's with 285 BFG at's. I have right at 18K on the odo. All hand calc. mileage not DIC.

Clay

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

15-17 is what I'm getting in mine (running 285/75/16s [32s])... I'd like to be able to get it up over 20 consistantly.

Did you do all your mods at once?