Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Antenna.....Won't retract!?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, May 26, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Seems like I should know this one, but I've never owned a vehicle with a power antenna until recently....

It worked fine all winter, but I guess the ravages of the winter finally gummed-up the antenna to the point where it didn't want to retract very easily. I made a mental note to hit it with some silicone spray but it may have damaged itself before I got the chance??

It will extend with no problems, and when I pull the key the motor tries to retract it but it won't move. If I gently push down on the very top of it...it will "grab" and then retract normally. I have completely cleaned and lubed the antenna so it moves pretty well now once it's underway.

TWO GUESSES:

1. Some sort of plastic gear has partially stripped in the motor assembly and the first few teeth that would normally start it downward are now chewed up.

2. Perhaps something can be adjusted on the "collar" that the antenna retracts into?? Its sort of like a washer with shallow slits across it (think the ignition bezel trim on a 1st Gen!! :D ) With a special tool, or a WIDE screwdriver I could potentially loosen this??

Any ideas, or simple fixes?? I know that I'll have to pull the inner fender liner to get the entire thing removed if it comes to that, and I'm sure a complete new assembly is a substantial number of these $$$$$, so I'd like to spend some time trying to make this one work if I can.

:usaflag:

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Greg, they have come way down in price lately except OEM ones.... yes Ive taken them apart and it is a plastic gear that strips. Is this a factor option on one of your vehicles? or is it one you added to one?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Call up your local radio shack and see what kind of price they're getting. They're easy too install.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's on my 2001 LandCruiser (daily driver)... which I'm sure means that the OEM part is $750!!! :D

I'm not afraid to take it apart if I can buy a replacement gear. In fact, I'm sure that if I could just "index" the damaged teeth 1/4 turn away from where they are now....it would probably work just fine.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Get a hold of Toyota to see their parts brake down of the antenna... The one I pulled apart has a round gear and there is a belt gear that is part of the antenna if the belt gear breaks it's trash... Find out the part number and contact a stereo shop for an aftermarket antenna....

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd put in a aftermarket power antenna. 1 .... 2