Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power at Starter but nothing happens

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerwinq, Jun 5, 2004.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq Registered Member

I just installed the engine and have been bolting everything back up but now when I try starting I get nothing, not even a click!! I have the wires hooked on the starter and Alt(if this matters). I checked to see that I have power at the starter. It's probably something easy that I am missing but I'm stumpped. Any suggestions??? This is on the 75 4X4 with 350

Thanks, Kerwin

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You have power , as in battery power ? Do you have power from ignition switch when key is turned ? Simple check would be to jump it to see if it cranks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

You can buy a remote switch , or make one with two alligator clips , a momentary switch , and an old extension cord. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the selonoid isn't getting power.

You can have someone turn the key while you test the selonoid wire to see if it recieves power when the ignition is turned. Maybe the selonoid is stuck/bad.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you sure you have the switch wires hooked up to the starter? Ive forgotten them b4 when i changed starters, like wtf is it now, o yeh, 4got something haha.

5. kerwinq

I have checked all my wires, even pulled the starter to verify I had them connected correctly. I have one wire on the smaller connection and 2 plus the positive battery on the large one. The battery is charged and I have power at the starter on the large wire, I had someone turn the key and I checked the other but had no power. I don't seem to have any power in the cab either.
    What am I missing?

Thanks, Kerwin

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I had someone turn the key and I checked the other but had no power. I don't seem to have any power in the cab either.
    What am I missing?

Thanks, Kerwin

[/ QUOTE ] Well, there's your prob, the next question is why you aren't getting power to the selenoid, did you trace the wires to see if one got pinched, cut etc..?

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ground cables or straps???or maybe one of the fuse links on the wires at the solenoid??,is there a small wire from your battery cables to the radiator support??. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifTry jumping the solenoid?? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. kerwinq

I have checked all my wires for shorts and good connections. The only thing that I found was that the wire coming off the alternator going to the fuse box is not hot. The one coming from the block on the firewall to the alt is good so I know I have power going in. What would cause this? I had the alt checked and was told it was good so should not be the problem.
    I'm just at a loss as to what to check and what the problem could be.

Thanks, Kerwin

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried unbolting the two halves of the fuseblock itself,where it passes through the cab???.I have seen many here that rusted the connectors right out on the inside of the fusebox,but outside everything looks preety good--it might be all gangreen in there.If it wont crank,no power to anything,lights,etc,its probably in the circuit that comes from the starter solenoid,the red wires with the fuse links in them,at the firewall there is a junction block near the brake booster,one of the red wires goes there,and the other goes into the harness behind the motor(a real pain to get at)and eventually goes into the fusebox to power everything in the truck.Its probably in that curcuit--but on an old truck it could be lots of other reasons.The fact your not getting power out of the altenator (the BIG red wire with the nut,not the little wires on the plug,I am assuming)means there is no power getting from the wires on the solenoid to the fusebox and the rest of the truck.Good luck--having a 74 with a gangreen harness,I'm gettin to know all the wires and color codes alot more than I care to Know!!. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing that I found was that the wire coming off the alternator going to the fuse box is not hot

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you cant start it then the alt wont make power right? (unless you jumped the wires)

the small wire from the starter ( on the big post) powers every thing in your cab, the small one ( one the small post) powers the selinode, so inbetween is up for grabs, but since you say you don't have any power in side then it must be in the fuse box befor the power is split off, dig it out ans see what you find, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif happy testing /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif