Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Ateering

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Jul 23, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I just installed a new pwr steering box and pump. A friend of mine said to run ATF instead of power steering fluid, but the guy at NAPA says to run power steering fluid. Which is correct? Thanks
    Jeff

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running PS fluid but I have heard of ATF being used too.
    There is a new product out there I just read in 4-Wheel and it is suppose to keep the pwr steering system alot cooler...I can't remember the name off hand!
    As for your question I don't know wich is better so I just use PS fluid.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

JTB
    If you don't mind my asking, how much did your box and pump cost, and is it new or rebuilt, and for 4wd or 2wd (box). I just pulled my box off the Jimmy and am considering going through it "just because", but would consider a new one as well.
    Thanks
    JB

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

The box was 175 and the pump was 55. I bought them from All Parts but I got a discount because a high school friend handles my purchases. I can't remember how much they were supposed to be. Both are rebuilt. I am running power steering fluid but I was not sure if ATF is recommended. Huge improvement in steering responsiveness after instaling the new box but it still whines pretty loud. Maybe it just takes a little while to get all the air out of the system.
    Jeff

5. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention that it is a 4wd box. (70 Chevy K5)
    Jeff

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have always used ATF. Power steering fluid is the same thing only in a different package and more $$$ (unless you have a Honda they have to use special stuff because Honda engineers are morons). When your truck was made there was no such thing as power steering fluid.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust