Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power brake problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Aug 17, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok i was looking at my buddys 82 half ton four by pick up. its a little basterdised, not sure if it will afect anything, new moter ect. was looking at his vac lines explaning how stuff worked to him and snaped the little plactice resistance thinggy in the brake booster vac line. so i caqpped it for him so he could go get a new one. he said his brakes suck and NOW THERE BETER?!?!?!?!?!

so i dont get it, his cyinder looks fine and there is no evadence of main seal leaking. could his diaframe be killed? is there a way to check that?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

bump. help me figgur this one guys dont want my budd crashing.....

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If the vacuum booster is dead,you will know it--the pedal will be very hard,and you will have to press very hard to make it stop.A rough test is to shut off the engine,pump the pedal several times,and hold the pedal down and start the engine,if the booster is working the pedal will go toward the floor slightly.This does not mean that the diaphram is perfect,a small leak wont be readily noticable.Also if you pull off the vaccuum hose at the booster(take the plastic check valve thing out of the rubber grommet)with the engine off after several minites,you should hear the hiss of vacuum,if the diaphram is good it will hold vacuum--a bad check valve can prevent this test from working,because it lets the vacuum escape back into the intake manifold.Often you will hear a vacuum leak at the rear of the master cylinder,on the bottom is an empty bolt hole,mine was hissing like crazy there when my booster croaked. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Replace it , and put the filter in line too . GM brakes even when good travel pretty far anyways , he just didn't like it . Or get him a manual brake setup /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Do you know the part name or where I could get one of the filters. Also what is their purpose?

6. pauly383

Both at any parts store in the Help! section /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks! BTW do you need to use a special type of hose from the filter to the booster or is it just standard vacuum hose? Mine has a thicker,reinforced looking hose from where the filter would be to the booster but standard vacuum hose from the filter to the carb. Both need to be replaced I just want to get the right kind of hose.

8. pauly383

I used regular goodyear fuel and emissions hose from the parts store . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that what i dont get, with the vac line off there is lotsa vacume , and when i pulled the one way valve from the booser it hissed with the vacume let go so it seems like it works ok but he said the brakes were easyer to push with no vac line conected. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif