Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power chips, do they work?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by deek, Nov 15, 2004.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

& if so what stage should i get 1 or 2, I'm thinking maybe a stage 2 because I'v had ths cats removed, now I'm running tru duals with headders & flomasters, & the intake side has a TBI spacer with a 8"x14" air cleaner.

Also fuel mileage is a factor, does it stay the same under normal driving conditions?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

increased mileage? I doubt it. Increased gas cost? definetally. You have to run Premium with one of those chips. All they do is adjust the timing and fuel a little bit. A custom chip is a better option but for your setup i wouldn't waste the money. You'd make more power spending money on a bigger throttle body and fuel pump. http://www.turbocity.com/ sells TBs and look on Ebay for cheap high flow throttle bodies.

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I am fairly sure that you won't need a new fuel pump, you might want some kind of adjustable fuel pressure regulator to kick up your fuel pressure. I don't really believe that a bigger throttle body will help that much either, unless you have done heads, cam, intake etc. Best bang for the buck I would say cam, and if you have the money heads and intake, but if you do any of those will you have to get a custom chip burned. Go to PCMforless.com to get a chip burned.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't see any reason for a custom chip with intake and head swap.

5. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

i know they dont do anything for my camaro's, the custom (diy) ones are the way to go if you're gonna do it, but I think unless you have some major mods, it's not worth it.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Of all the things I have done to squeeze more power out of my 98 vortec k1500 is I installed a duel electric fan. flexalite. I alse have a volant air system, jba headers, duel flowmasters, hypertech tuning, mass air flow sensor, and a helix throttle body spacer. what's next ........ whipple supercharger! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif