Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power chips???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Dec 31, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

anybody here got a power chip on their k5? the 'ol 87 jus doesnt have enough giddyup and i was considering this, what ones do u have and is it worth it?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IMHO the chips just aren't worth the money. You end up having to buy premium fuel and getting worse mileage for very little gain in power. On cars with electronically controlled trannies they'll change the shift points, but I think that the 87s are still mechanically controlled. Put the money into some headers or a performance intake and you'll see more gains. </font color>

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm highway testing mine. During the around town test, it sucked gas like there was no tomorrow. And as for the premuim fuel, that's a mandatory thing since hammering it will get ya the old hammer on metal sound coming from the engine.

Just for giggles today coming home from work, I was doing about 85 and hammered it just to see, at floorboard, still got the hammer on metal sound, so I let off just a hair and it stopped. Currently I'm running a tank of 89 octane with two bottles of 104 Octane booster. I'll have highway mpg results on Thursday, but I know the stock chip is going back in.

4. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have a jet 6 pack on my wifes daily drver and we love it. The truck is an 88 c/k 2500 witch I have done a lot to incuding a 383 stoker with headers, mild cam, mild port work, ect and the stock 5 speed. this chip allows me to switch from economy ( in this mode I can get 20mph if I drive it wright) or tow mode, balet mode,or full throtle fun. It's a bit pricey but we love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif