Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power door lock probs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Jun 24, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok so I was yanking the stock tape deck outta my truck ( talk about a BEOTCH!!!) and after finally getting it out the back...lots of forcing and wiggling...Now my power door locks wont work...a friend said it could be that the door locks will only work when the deck is plugged in, some kinda security feature, He's an installer for stereos at best buy. Anyways so normally I'd just say OK, plug the old stereo in to check if thats it or not...but after getting it out I kinda smashed it on the street (anger issues I know /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) So now my dilema, is this simply the case and when I get a new stereo my door locks will work, or Maybe in my frenzie of getting it out I may have loosened a wire under the dash, or severed one. So can anyone help me on this one?? Like which wires it is, and what they look like....Its not a HUGE deal, just nice to have power locks that actually worked. thanks for any hel[

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I kinda smashed it on the street...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

There is a door lock relay( I believe it's bolted to the brake pedal assembly, on the passenger side), it kinda looks like the blower motor relay. You may have unplugged the harnesses from it somehow...Also check out the fuses.

Also there is no stereo-door-lock-security-feature. I didn't have a radio for a while and my PL still worked. Something just got unplugged under the dash...

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pull the panels and check the connections, my windows stopped working and i thought i had a problem, they just got lose, and if that work.............. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

4. smprider112

OK just looked under the dash...I think I found the relay you are talking bout...kinda square has like 2 plugs going into it? that one is plugged in tight...I found some white plastic thingy floating around in there too...has one plug going into it...I wish I could explain it better, it looks like it should attach to something, its like a half circle looking thing, and in the middle has this tab that slides from one side to the other side, maybe like a relay of some type (?) When my roommate comes home Ill use his phone to take a pic of it. What are the colors of the wires for the door locks anyways??

5. smprider112

almost forgot, what are the fuses for the door locks?? same as the windows? cuz they work fine.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That "Half circle thingy" is the neutral safety switch. It makes sure you don't start in gear. It's supposed to be mounted on top of the steering column(it justs snaps in) but mine isn't and it doesn't hurt anything...

7. smprider112

haha...cool, I didnt think ANYONE would know what I was talking bout by my "Excellent" description /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif so it wont hurt to leave it dangling?? should I slide the little tab a certain direction or >>???

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You probably should mount that baby back on the column(but like I said, mine isn't and it doesn't hurt anything)...if I remember correctly the slide thingy stays on the left(for Park)...and the two little prongs for the harness face towards the steering wheel...