Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power door lock troubles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pugsley, May 8, 2001.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where GM hid the #@$^%$ relay at? I know the motors work, but I dont have any juice on the driver's side - so it's got to be the relay, right?

[​IMG]

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On mine it was under the dash by the stereo.
    Have someone work the passenger side and then you can listen for the relay to kick in and out.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The relay is bolted to the right side of the bracket that holds the brake pedal. It is next to your throttle foot. There is also a connector behind the dash that connects this relay to the door wiring. Also, check where the wiring comes into the door. It is not unusual to have the wires broken here. You have of course checked the fuses......right????? Good luck.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Thanks - Now to test the damned thing. Fuses are all good, wiring appears good, so we'll try the relay.

[​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You said wiring appears good, I assume you tested for power where the door wiring plugs into the main door lock harness in the cab? Mine quit working, I had a fuse instead of a relay on the fuse panel...duh! : )

If you are only getting power to one side, I don't see how it can be the relay, I believe one controls both. Make sure your voltmeter is grounded solidly, as in the bus bar under the dash on the drivers side, before checking voltage again.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I found the problem - prior to my owning the truck, some idiot put an alarm system in it, and had spliced into the wiring behind the kick panel with Scotch-loks, and I somehow missed it. Needless to say, a couple good butt connectors and some liquid electrical tape = no more problem.

[​IMG]