Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power levels gas-diesel na and turbo ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by pilgrim, Jan 14, 2003.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

hey all i wish i had a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i'am so unhappy that i bought a 350 gasser and in a sub no less... my engine is a mild rebuild with just about all the little power adders, (headers/new q-jet/electric fan/good wires/ blah blah blah..) even with all that it's very boggy and having to down shift to climb a small hills, that stinks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

i'am planning out my swap to the wonderful compression ignition engine, and was wondering what to aspire to..

the truck is heavy 7000 lbs, but never see's much towing.
    i'am pretty sure i don't want anyone elses problems so a new or rebuilt motor is what i'am shooting for. but do i really "need" a turbo or would i be happy with a nicely worked over 6.5. (i saw this a little while ago http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm any good??)

how much do you think a NA 6.2 in my burb would differ from my 350? Is there that much diffrence in power from the 6.2 to the 6.5.. mech inject of course...

what about these guys http://www.gm-diesel-engines.com/index.html sounds like a good deal..

yeah a cummins swap is cool but my price range is 5-7 thou tops.. and i don't even have that yet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif plus i got a fresh sm465/205 and would like to keep-um.

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would say go with a 6.5, and if your price range allows get it in turbo.
    It does make a difference.
    A cummins would be great but more work involved and I think your budget wouldn't allow it.
    Where you get it I can't say.
    I got quotes for low miles 90 day warrantied 6.5 turbo complete including shipping to my door in the 3600-3800 dollars from dismantlers.
    I would do that myself, but I guess you have your heart set on a new or rebuilt.
    Remember you will need all the accessories and brakets, and those new or rebuilt will not have them so count in all this in your budget.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Heres a SITE that someone linked in the garage for engines.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Tybee, I have seen this one a year ago and I can tell you I have been trying to contact them, but they never replied, and I didn't want to take the chance and order from them if I can't get a reply for a question before I buy. Do you think they will listen to me after they have my money.
    If someone actually contacts them and succeeds let me know.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

its not that i had my heart set on a new motor. but don't like the idea of pulling it back out for a rebuild after 2000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..

it sounds like these dismanlters might be a good choice though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.. did you say they have motors that come with all the ascessory brackets /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif that would be nice and easy. do you have any leads on some of these places /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i'am i right in thinking that the 6.2 and 6.5 are the same on the outside /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (bolt holes for brackets and stuff)

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thats to bad they seem to have some good deals. Ill try to contact them.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

u need a part
    This is how I got the quotes.
    You fill out what you want and you will get responses starting the minute you send it.
    I got responses as late as 10 days after I sent it so give yourself at least a week before you decide.

8. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

You can also try the www.car-part.com website for used parts. No wait necessary. Inputting info on vehicle & part required produces list of yards with part & usually prices (sometimes CALL listed instead). Allows national as well as statewide searches.

Good luck.

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

There prices seem high on some parts.

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Cummins swap wouldn't be that expensive. I've found several for <$2500 complete with no core. They came in P30 vans with a SM465 behind them so the bellhousing and flywheel is available. Plus you get to sell the gas motor to offset some of the cost.

My swap will be more intersting in that I want too keep the 4L80E.

11. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

wow i had no idea the cummins engine at one time came with a sm465, thats interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thanks for the info guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

These are 4 cylinder Cummins engines. 4 cylinder version of the 6 they have in Dodges.

13. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

oh /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif..

14. Diesel Dan

Yes, they were the 3.9L 4BT engine.
    But like the 5.9L 6BT the bellhousing is a removable adapter that bolts to the rear of the engine. The 4BT & 6BT use the same adapters, because they are from the same engine family.

15. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

thanks for clearing that up, i was thinking that might be the case. well then that means "any" cummins would bolt up to my sm465 with this adaptor and not just the years that came with one.. hmm is that right /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. Diesel Dan

Well, I wouldn't say "any".
    A 855cid N14 wouldn't work /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

L10 maybe??? I know it's only 300 hp but that might be fun./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

18. Diesel Dan

I guy yacked his L10 in my driveway about a year ago. I helped him with the diagnosis, it was pretty BIG.

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Diesel dan, do you happen to have a pic of this belhousing?
    I have a perkins mated to an SM465 and it has a cast iron belhousing that I don't recognize. I heard that cummins and perkins are close relatives so maybe they use the same adapter?
    Just trying to learn more about what I have.

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't the larger diesels use an SAE bellhousing? I recall SAE bell's when I worked at a place building industrial Gen Sets. SAE #1, #2, and #3...they were all cast iron.

Rene