Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power locks what do you think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Nov 16, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

After looking for a powerlock I have heard a few negative things.... Basically what it comes down to is if I get stuck or am climbing steep hill or rocks will I ever have a situation where one one wheel gets the power? I understand how a limited slip works and all but I have been told by a few guys that when they have gotten stuck they only have one tire spinning. I might end up just welding the front carrier for now and see how it goes. What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

welding your front end equals no steering and breakage. If you are even thinking about going that route, buy a detroit. the powerlock is in my opinion the best clutch posi system around. It can be very hard to steer with a detroit, but there are times when even a powerlock will just let one tire spin. I have only seen it happen twice. I guess it all depends on how much of a hardcore rig this is going to be. you will see tons of replys below this one stating anything from the same to slightly different to totally opposite. It all comes down to personal preferance.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a lock rite in my front axle I love it. It has let me go places I couldnt go before. I have the lock rite up front and a mini spool in the rear. You will loose a little turning with a locker, but a welded front will be hard to turn it tight spots.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i run a powerlok in front it works great. very rarely lets one front tire spin, such as attempting a vertical wall or ???, in mud snow etc it stays locked up unlike every other LS dif.
    i run a detroit rear it works great.
    no way would i weld the front, might try a detroit up front though.
    i would weld a rear.

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

As Brians 60 said-

Don't weld that front. You'll regret it

I have a power lock in the rear and was actually quite impressed how nicely it works.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you are doing anything EXCEPT serious rock crawling, go PowerLoc. It is much more forgiving and easier to deal with most of the time. It should be fine as long as both tires see at least some traction.

If you plan on serious rock crawling (wheels in the air on a regular basis), you will probably want to put a locker in front. But, with a front locker come other issues. Broken axles, knuckle joints, even hubs. So, you will need to carry the extra parts on the trail. These problems are what lead many of us to the D60 front. D60s don't eliminate the issues but they do let you have a bit more fun without spending more time under the rig in the middle of nowhere. There is also the turning issue which can be dealt with (in part) by unlocking the inside hub or disengaging the front axle to make the turn (where possible). Gotta be real careful when making a sharp turn under power!

Like the age old question about getting to the center of a Tootsie Pop, "How many broken axles fixed on the trail does it take to pay for a D60? Eh, one. Eh, two. Eh, three..." [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.