Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power loss

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ok, here's my stats:

350 (roughly 80k)
    Th350 (rebuilt last yr)
    203 (full time)
    D44 (open w/4.10's)
    14FF (gov-loc w/4.10's)
    33 x 12.5 x 15's

Last year when I swapped out my 1/2ton axle that had 3.08's, I was running the same 33" tires. After I swapped in the 3/4ton axles with the 4.10's I was expecting a big power gain. I never really thought about it until now tho. With the 3/4ton and 4.10's it STILL feels like I'm running with the 3.08's. Any ideas what could be up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

transmission problems?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't think so, it still did it after i had the tranny rebuilt in sept of 2003.

4. Waxer

Only reason I ask that is its possible to have power loss from a problematic transmission or torque converter.

You said it did it before and after the tranny was rebuilt?

Before and after the gear swap as well?

Did you feel any difference with the new gearset?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure the engine really is in good enough shape and running order to have good power?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I was still running the old tranny after the gear swap, had the tranny rebuilt about 8 months after the gear swap. When I did the gear swap, I did feel a power gain as expected from swapping gears, just doesn't feel like I'm getting what it should be. Could it be because of the 203 still being full time?

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Tim, I have no idea. Like I said, the motor has about 80k - 100k on it, its due for a rebuild. I have a SB400 thats going to be going in next spring /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    I was still running the old tranny after the gear swap, had the tranny rebuilt about 8 months after the gear swap. When I did the gear swap, I did feel a power gain as expected from swapping gears, just doesn't feel like I'm getting what it should be. Could it be because of the 203 still being full time?

[/ QUOTE ]

3.09 to 4.10 isn't a HUGE gain. It's not going to be a huge difference in power. What are you using as a comparison to gauge your results?

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3.09 to 4.10 isn't a HUGE gain. It's not going to be a huge difference in power. What are you using as a comparison to gauge your results?

[/ QUOTE ]

What really got me thinking about it again was when I was up on the mountain for hunting season. There is a 3 - 5 mile stretch of 6% grade that I have to climb. When I was 3.08's and 33's I had the throttle floored with an empty burb and top speed was maybe 30 mph, this yr when I went with the 4.10's and 33's with same conditions, my top speed up the mountain was like 35 or 40 mph.

10. Waxer

Check your vacuum advance. It could be frozen like mine was.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your mechanical advance also. My weights were rusted to the shaft and the distributor wouldn't advance at all.

12. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your mechanical advance also. My weights were rusted to the shaft and the distributor wouldn't advance at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was referring to. The vacuum advance engages the mechanical advance innards. If they are frozen, you get no advance. Just like I wasn't.

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

could also be you weren't jetted well for altitude. i remember swaping 3.08s to 4.10s with an axle swap like you did and didn't really notice much change either. just a bit better off the line.

i used to have a k5 with a sb400 and 3.42s and 35s. when the motor started to knock i but in a used 350 that was less then a year old on a rebuild and i noticed a big drop in torque from my tired 400. so you should be super happy when you get your 400 in. i think they are awesome truck engines.