Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappyk5, Nov 17, 2004.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well the last couple trips up and down the highway i have
    notice some bogging of the engine when underload. it
    she idles good , no missing. its like somewhere in the midrange area i am bogging down. it i am sitting still in park and slowly give it gas , its revs up nice and smooth.
    but if i floor it , she hesitates and boggs , then clears up and revs up.
    just looking for some ideas.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It would be a big help to know what we are talking about!.Need more info--what kind of truck,motor,etc--A wild guess would be its the gas filter clogging up,or the fuel pump crapping out,but without any info on the vehicle its hard to give any advice!. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

oops sorry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    its a 1984 k5 blazer with a 305.
    the engine is a 1987 block with all the 1984 goodies on it , so its got an electric fuel pump.
    i was thinking the clogged fuel filter or maybe bad fuel
    like with water in it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I assume you have a carb--it would not hurt to take a sample of fuel in a glass jar and check for water in it--we find many vehicles we pull the tanks out of to do fuel pumps that have a LOT of water in them--not sure if its from condensation,or if the gas stations are selling us watery fuel--but its in there!.I'm willing to bet many of those vehicles didnt need a fuel pump at all,or did because the water damaged the pump--most of them had high mileage anyway,so replacing the pump wasnt a total waste of money--.If no water is present,I'd change the fuel filter,and blow air from a compressor thru the fuel lines(take the gas cap off first!)to help clear any crud out of the lines and the "sock" filter in the tank(which also can be the problem)--the "sock" wont let water pass thru,it builds up on the outside like jelly,and blocks the fuel from going to the fuel pump and engine.You said you have an electric pump??-is it an aftermarket,or an in tank OEM pump??.If its aftermarket,it should be mounted as close to the tank as possible,they "push" gas better than pumping it.If its an OEM pump for EFI,it will have too much pressure for a carb,unless you run a pressure regulator on it.Hope this helps you out some--post back and tell us what you find--. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

it has an aftermarket electric pump right near thr tank on the rail. plus the p/o installed a dial regulator there along with a fuel filter there too. plus it has the filter in the carb. last time i replaced these filters was about
    6 months ago which would be about 5000 mies. this seemed to just start happening.
    i am going to replace the filters and put some dry gas in the tank to see what happens. thanks guys.