Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Pulse?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ggallin13, Apr 26, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have alternator whine now that I put in my new amp. I purchased a noise limiter and that took care of it, but now I get a strange pulse through my sub when there is no music going. The LEDs on the head unit dim in time to the pulsing. What gives? Is there any way I can get rid of the whine and not have the pulse?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What is the ground like on the amp..did you use the same size wire as the power cable? Did you sand the metal down so there was no paint around the ground? I had a Pheonix (or phoenix whatever!!) Gold amp that was very sensative I had tremendous alternator noise...I had the amp mounted to the sheet metal and there was where the whine was coming from I mounted it to plywood and then mounted the plywood to the sheetmetal it helped! Also It is a good idea to use a bigger ground wire for the battery its self. If you notice the stock wire is like 12-14 gage. Use some 10-8 gage ground wire and make a good clean ground as short as possible...also you may want to upgrade to RFI supressing spark plug wires...One more thing is the voltage of the RCA pre outs the higher the voltage the less you need to crank the amp and the less noise you will hear. Alpine comes with 4 volts and this is great..you can also get a voltage booster that goes between your RCA pre outs and the amp. I would ditch the noise supressor and spend a day troubleshooting you'll find what is causing the problem and it will sound much better
    Brent

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips! The ground wire is the same size as the power lead. I am not sure of the guage, but they are bigger than the stock crap you get when you buy a stereo. The ground wire is hooked up to the same spot as the radio. I am going to move it in the morning, and hope that helps.