Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power rear window won't go up.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Sep 27, 2004.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Power rear window won\'t go up.

My tailgate switch stopped working about a year ago and now my in-cab switch no longer works. I tried holding the switch that closes when the tailgate is closed and having my wife do the in-cab switch but that didn't work. Which fuse should I be looking at? My radio no longer works either. It went out about the same time as the window. I checked the radio fuse and it was OK. Is there anyway to get the window to go up without power? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: Power rear window won\'t go up.

i know in a blazer if the motor goes, you chuck the cable up in a drill and run it up and down.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There are 2 possible things to check:

1 - on your burb there is going to be a circuit breaker (square metal box) in your fuse box that goes to the rear window circuit.

2 - somewhere under the dash there is also going to be a relay, usually this is in between the dash switch and where the wires exit thru the firewall.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

My window got stuck down, the radio still worked though, and it was the switch that senses if the tailgate is open or closed. It is mounted inside the tailgate, on the pass side latch (the thing with claws that grabs the striker)and has two blue wires attached to it. If you remove the access panel you can look through the glass and see it. I was able to get at it with a long pair of needle nose pliers, and I just cut the connector off, and soldered the two wires together. By bypassing this switch you have to be careful not to roll the window up while the tailgate is down. I don't know if anyone is stupid enough to do that, but I guess GM thought so.
    Hope this helps.