Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Services Diesel Addiditve

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Mar 3, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I was trying to find some Stanadyne to put in my truck, but I can't find where they carry it, so I bought some of this Power Service stuff. It's supposed to be a 6 cetane boost, plus lubricant and a bunch of other stuff. I have it out in the truck if you want specifics. Want to know if I should or shouldn't pour this in my tank.

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

It hasn't hurt mine yet. Since I don't have Stanadyne readily available either, I figure it's better than no addative... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Let the more experienced chime in any time... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. 4x4dreamer

LOL, I was basically looking for the resounding NO, it's good to know that at least someone else has heard of it. It seemed to be the best that Discount had to offer. If I don't hear a no in the next two hours, I'm pouring some in at lunch. How much do you add per tank. I figure about 1/4 of a bottle for my 31 gallon.

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I don't know how big of a bottle you got... I usually pick up what looks like about a quart size, and I'll add the whole thing when filling the tank. I do tend to add one every other tank though (I never let my tank run down past 1/4). On the side it says that size is suitable for up to 50 gallons I think.

5. 4x4dreamer

The one I got says it does 100 gallons...which is why I was going to do about 1/4th. It says it will help my exhaust not smell so bad, which is my wife's biggest complaint about the truck. To me it's kind of a turn-on, but I'm sick like that. Naturally I want some more power too, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I thought I was the only one that liked the smell. I didn't notice much power gain, but I got at least a little peace of mind that there was *some* extra lubricity to keep the injection pump from going T.U. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4x4dreamer

I've almost had the truck for a year, but haven't put many miles on it. I figured it's about time to put something in. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th tank of fuel...so I don't drive it THAT much. But I want to do something.

8. 4x4dreamer

Re: Power Services Diesel Addiditve ***Update***

Went out at lunch, had to put my 3rd glow plug switch this month in...(WFT??), so I went ahead and poured the additive in and topped off my coolant while I was out there. Then took it for a short spin. BIG DIFFERENCE on the 2 mile drive I took. Felt smoother, pulled a little harder and smoother, seemed a little quieter, smelled less, and it started up easier. I'm a beleiver. And no, I was not paid for this endorsement. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is your glow plug switch running to a relay/solenoid or directly wired to the glow plugs /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. 4x4dreamer

Dunno...I just use it. The PO did all the wiring. It had a button in there when I got it, that lasted a long time, then the button itself quit working. So I put a new button in, but it was only 15 amps, so it caught fire LOL. Then I put a "heavy duty" 35 amp switch from Discount in, it lasted a while, but then the switching action stopped working. So I got another one to tide me over until I can get one from a performance shop. I just took the bad one apart, it melted on the inside.

The switch itself had a plastic piece coming out of it that contacts the copper piece that rocks back and forth and makes contact with the terminal that completes the circuit. The plastic thing was melted and broke off.

My question now is, what's the voltage/amperage of the glow plug system. What do I need to look for in a switch?

11. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

You should look into a relay system. It sounds like you're burning out the switch's by running the full current of the glow plugs through it (I don't know the current rating off-hand, but I do know it's a bunch). If you do a search around here, I bet you'd find wiring diagrams for the set-up I'm talking about. Low-voltage switch operating a high current solenoid (such as a F*rd starter relay). This will help keep you from having a GM bonfire. Scope around, it's worth it (I'd hate to hear of anothe GM going up in flames due to bad PO wiring).

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Power Service is a very commonly used product. I think a lot of people say that Stanadyne Performance formula is better, but I didn't notice any difference when I used it. I use Power Service myself. I like it because I can get it at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, it sounds like your glow plug system is missing a relay and all of the amps are going through your switch. If you had a relay in there, you would only need a switch rated to carry an amp or two, because all the amps will be going through the relay instead. Using the Ford style starter relay is a good idea.

Casey

13. 4x4dreamer

Is a 35 amp switch not enough? It worked for a long time with the original button, I wonder if the relay just want bad.

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

No, a 35 amp switch is overkill. If you had a relay in your system, you would only need a switch rated to carry one or two amps at the most. If you had a relay in your system and it was bad, you wouldn't have any glow plugs at all.

I don't think you're going to find a switch large enough to carry the amperage required by the glow plugs....at least not one that will work for very long....not without using a relay. Plus, it's not safe...as you've found out.

Follow the advice given here and at the DP. Install a relay on the firewall or fender. Place all 8 glow plug leads on one large post of the relay. Place battery power on the other large post. Take the wire from your switch in the cab and run it to the small post on the relay. If there are two small posts, run a ground wire to the other small post.

Do that, and you won't fry another switch.

Casey

15. 4x4dreamer

I'll see if I can figure that out. I suck with electrical stuff, but I'll take a stab at it this weekend. How much should I expect to spend on the relay? Any particular gauge of wire I should use? And am I going to lose my idiot light?
    Thanks for all your help Casey!! I'm going to have a million more questions as my project goes on, but it's nice to know there are knowledgable people out there who are cool about giving answers.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Power Service is a very commonly used product. I think a lot of people say that Stanadyne Performance formula is better, but I didn't notice any difference when I used it. I use Power Service myself. I like it because I can get it at Wal-Mart.

Yeah, it sounds like your glow plug system is missing a relay and all of the amps are going through your switch. If you had a relay in there, you would only need a switch rated to carry an amp or two, because all the amps will be going through the relay instead. Using the Ford style starter relay is a good idea.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the one I use, and it's because I can get it at wall mart.
    I see a big difference when I don't use it so now I use it all the time, and I like it.

17. 4x4dreamer

I'm pretty happy with the results. Combined with the new air filter, it's like a new truck. Starts a lot easier too. Now to get the exhaust done....

18. 4x4dreamer

Re: Power Services Diesel Addiditve *UPDATED*

Today I went out and looked at the wiring. Of course I had no clue...but I had a guy look at it, he said I should try the Ford starter solenoid thing. Another guy came up and said, "hey, that looks like a ford starter solenoid", that was weird. SO, I looked at the way it was wired, didn't seem right to me, so I changed some things around and now when I flip the switch, I can hear an audible click of the solenoid. I'm assuming that now it's hooked up right. Any more input?

19. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Re: Power Services Diesel Addiditve *UPDATED*

Clicking is good. I think you may be on the right track now!

Casey