Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steerin sounds like its dying

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CJeepFreak84, May 15, 2003.

1. CJeepFreak84

CJeepFreak84 Registered Member

I just want to know whats goin on with the power steer and what i should replace... at idle sometimes when i turn the wheel i get a harsh screaching.. i alot get the same when i turn the wheel alllll the way top either the left or right.. but when it's at idle and it screaches... it doesn't want to turn at all... could this just be the belt? it seems to be shaking a bit when i turn the wheel at idle.. or could it be the power steer pump is going... just wana know if i should be looking at a new pump... if i am i'll replace the belt anyways... but do u think i should even try a new belt first?... also the steering feels weird... like it's not returning all the way back and feels like i have to put more force than usual... not a lot of force but like i've got to hold the wheel to make it go straight... it's got a dual steering stabilizer up front.. like so:
    |----||----| <---opposing shocks
    could maybe one of the shocks have finally bought the farm?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

When I get that noise, I know it's time to add more fluid, as mine leaks like the Exxon Valdez /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

3. CJeepFreak84

yeah that was the first thing i figured... it was a little bit low but not too low... filled it and it just keeps doin it!!! it's annoying as all hell... i have to do a k turn just to pull into a parking space now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I imagine it could be the pump, or the belt not tight, but they usually have a squeal all their own.

John

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

a wee little tip for the leakin thing, what i did was got me a 35mm film tube, put half brake fluid in it, half atf, closed the cap, shook it around a bit, then poured it in my P\S pump, pretty much stops the leak, and its cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. CJeepFreak84

i don't know how many of you get the squeal when you turn the wheel allll the way to the right or left but it sounds exactly like that! money is tight and time is short... so if i can fix it without a new pump i'd be happy...