Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering and gearbox upgrades??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highpsi, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Highpsi

Highpsi Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I tried to search the topic, but couldn't find anything really specific about upgrading to a more sturdy gearbox and power steering pump. I hope this is an appropriate forum to post this in, if not then somebody please gimme a heads up. :D

My truck is an 86 C-10 with a tired old squeaky power steering pump, sloppy gearbox and generally wore-A** out front end components.

I plan to lift the suspension 6 to 8" next and add 35's. While at it, I figure I will rebuild the whole front end and the steering components if nothing else for safety sake as well.

Would anyone advise upgrading to an aftermarket, more robust power steering pump to handle those new 35's? Also the steering box? I know these two mods alone would run better then $800, so if it is a waste of money on a mostly on road driven truck, then please advise me. This truck is by no means a daily driver, and I certainly plan to beat on it in the mud quite a bit too. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Here's a link with a few photos of the project:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y135/Highpsi/

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if it were my truck id replace the worn parts other than the box with new ones since most gm truck steering parts are pretyt cheap,

then id go and find a good used box off another truck, remember that k-5s all way through 1 tons run same boxes physically, all interchange from late 68 through at least 87(2wd anyways)

you say you have a c-10 in which is a 2wd,

good luck

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

PSC makes an excellent upgrades for steering components. I just ordered a new gear box and pump.

Steve, from ORD, can get them for you and give you advice for which combination to choose.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/

Good luck.

-Randy

4. Highpsi

Highpsi Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Wow, this post shows my ignorance then if I got a k-10 and calling mine a "c"! (Yep, it IS a 4x4)

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the tips.