Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering ARGH

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Dec 1, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I heard this wierd clanging sound the other day like metal bouncing around, looked and couldnt find anything, then wed night with the light in the right view I saw a bolt for the power steering pump came out and was bouncing around in the pulley, couldnt get it out not enough room, this morning get going to work, get a block away and bam power steering dies (not fun with 35x12.5 tires). Stop look, the bolt fell between the pulley and pump, stopped the pulley and caused the whole pump to come loose from its brackets, what are the chances that this is not going to be a easy fix and my pump is damaged? Gonna look at it when I get home, hopefully it just came loose.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have any fluid leaking? If not, you may get away with taking the pump off and inspecting it and then just reinstall it. IF the pumped stopped due to come loose from the brackets, then it probably came out of contact with the belt and stopped spinning and that is why you lost your Pwr steering.
    I would take it off and reinstall the bolt. Then if the pump looks fine on the outside(no cracks, holes, damage, etc..) Then reinstall the pump and see what happens.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. istallion88k5

Yeah it came out of contact with both belts that the pulley runs, so hopefully it is still ok, dunno about leakage drove it back to the house and parked it and headed back to work.

4. istallion88k5

Geez, spent the weekend pulling the pulley, get new bolts from Autozone, try and get pulley back on, I go it 75% of the way, belts line up, no wooble(sp?) in the pulley, pump is still good. Man I have to say that is the biggest PITA I have ever seen, hopefully the pulley is on good enough seems to be, damn pulley/puller/installer bolts don't match so getting it back on I stripped out Autozones rented puller, they said oh well, heh.