Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering box going out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, May 5, 2003.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

The splined shaft that the pitman arm connects to moves out and pops back in on my steering box. With this said, should i replace the box or rebuild it. I dont know the inner workings of a steering box but im confidant I can rebuild it.

Jason

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Unless you have or have access to the little tube/ball feeder, You won't be able to get the ball's back in it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im really thinking in this case you can adjust that out of the steering box, with the allen key threded rod and the lock nut, look more into it, all it might need is a adjustment /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

you can't adjust it if it's moving in and out. i would exchange it. you can send it to me for a rebuild for 100 but it might be cheaper if you can find a deal locally.

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I see that you're in St. Louis, Mo. I don't know if you make it over to Indiana very much, but there is a place there called Illiana truck parts, www.illianatruckparts.com they have thousands of parts in stock for all kinds of trucks from 1/4 ton to dumptrucks. when i was growing up in Illinois, they always had the parts i needed in stock and treated me pretty well. the website has there phone # and address. they are used parts, but they won't sell them unless they are still good. hope this helps.

rick

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you're interested, I have a 4WD steering box in decent shape that I would send to you for $10 + shipping. It is the one I was running before swapping to crossover with a 2WD box. Send me a PM if you're interested.