Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering Box Problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Feb 21, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I sent my box to WTO to get it setup for a ram system and the ram is currently back ordered till next week so I am going to go ahead and installed the box with the plugs on the ram lines so I can drive the truck.

Ok, I went to put my freshly rebuilt steering box in, got it all done and filled up the pump with fluid. When I started cycling the steering there was a problem. When I would turn it to the right, just past center, there is a catch in the system. If I push a little harder on the steerin wheel it pushes past the catch with a metal on metal click noise thats rather loud. With the engine off it is much harder to push past the catch. No linkages are catching on anything, I watched it all as the wheel was turned. Any ideas?

I emailed WTO but while I wait I was wondering if anyone here had some insight...

EDIT: Ok, I pulled the drag link off and it still does it so it's somewhere between the box and steering wheel. Now, when I was putting it all together, I had the box on the floor of the garage and bolted the steering shaft to it. I could turn it lock to lock really easy by hand... So now I'm thinking it's something in the shaft or wheel, but why wouldn't it have done this before I shipped the box off?

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, pulled the steering shaft off of it and it still does it. So it's isolated to the box. I'm assuming that when the fluid rushed in it could have dislodged maybe a piece of metal or something and it's wedging in the gears??? Another thing, if I push past the catch, and come back, there is no catch, only happens when I go by that spot turning right...

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Could your plug(s) be interfering with the box internals ?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The ports on the box are male, so the plugs are female caps screwed onto these ports. So no. And there the caps that come installed from WTO.

4. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

It's my fault i must have missed something inside the piston. I sent you an E-mail so e-mail me back and we'll get you fixed up.