Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power steering box seals...and some welding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Sep 15, 2004.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

The seal went out in my power steering box on the shaft that connects to the steering arm. Don't I just have to take off the plate on the top of the box, take a nut or something off, and the shaft will slide out of the bottom so it can be replaced? Als, how much are these seals? Thanx

NITRO

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Re: Power steering box seals...

alright come on...i really need to get this thing fixed and cant figure out how to get the shaft out to get to the seal. I'm lost!?!?!

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

sorry I can't help ya but I have 79 4wd box if you want to toss it in while your fixing your other one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

1985 here
    $24.95 + ship (you can send the check to steve, and the shipping to me)

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The pitman shaft seal is held in by one or two snaprings--take off the pitman arm(might need a puller),remove the snapring(s)and place a large pan under the steering box,start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right,and hold it against the stop for a few seconds--the seals will blow out of the box,and most of the fluid too(its a messy but effective way to remove them,usually works good)and clean up the mess and put in the new seals with a socket or pipe for a driver,put the pitman arm back on,and fill it up again and you might have to bleed the P/S system by turning the wheels slowly from lock to lock several times,and your done!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I haven't done it either, but I am going to! I think that there is a snap ring on the bottom of the sector shaft that holds that seal in. From what I understand you just have to pull that snap ring off, pull the seal out, and shove the new one in and replace the snap ring. I don't know if this is correct, but it is what I have been told! Let me know what you find out because I need to do mine too!

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, there is the answer to both of our questions!

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

haha...well then...herein lies the problem. The reason why the seal is out to start with is because i had a lot of slack in my steering. It turned out that the pitman arm and that shaft were kind of stripped.So I welded those together which is what took out the seal. I can remove the welds and get the shaft off, but then will have to be welded back on. I do not have the money to replace the drop arm right now and am kind of in a bind. could I replace the seal then reweld it using some sort of heat sink to draw the heat away from the steel before it reaches the seal? of can i pull the whole shaft out so I dont even have to remove the pitman arm? thanks.

NITRO

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You really shouldn't be welding on steering components anyway. Get another box.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you welded the Pitman arm to the Sector shaft then you just screwed yourself. The only way to remove the sector shaft is via the access cover on the top of the box. In order to do that the pitman arm must be removed. Normally people just remove the seal while the sector shaft is still in the box by removing the pitman arm and using the pump pressure to blow the seal out of the box. Since you welded the two parts together you can not change the seal.

Go buy a new box and learn from your costly mistake. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

11. jjlaughner

DUDE! come get this box I think it has the pitman arm on it too. Its just in my way...
    Use the arm and selector shaft if your hoses are different.
    thats just not safe dude!

12. jjlaughner

DUDE!

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well Ive got a few spare boxes now, so i guess I will go see what I can tear up. Thanx guys.

NITRO