Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Power Steering boxes - different size fittings for different years?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, May 6, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

Still having troubles with this D60 and crossover steering swap! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I finally located a stock replacement high pressure hose with the compression style fittings for my older AGR steering box. The box is for the 75-80 models according to the person who sold it to me from this site. But the return line fitting is what I am having problems with! What size fitting should it be? Everyone so far says it should be a 3/8" line with a #18 thread?? But none of them have worked. They all thread in easy enough, but they are all "loose" fitting - what I mean is that even though they are threaded in a few turns, you can still wiggle it a little up and down between the threads and stuff. And they don't seal worth a damn of course.

Does anyone know if they used a different thread pattern or size in the older ones? These fittings I bought, they all fit fine in the threads of my 87's 4x4 box that I took off, nice and tight and all. Anyone know what my problem is? (And I mean with the fittings, not anything else! ha,ha) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Add to the misery, as soon as I filled the pump up with the new synthetic fluid, the pump started leaking! It leaks like a sieve now, guess the old seals didn't like the new fluid at all! Dang it! So, have to take that pump off again and rebuild it... grrrr!!

Any help would be appreciated!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, just talked to AGR, and they informed me that the different fittings (compression vs. o-ring) DID use different size threads...the earlier ones used a 5/8" thread with 18 threads per inch pattern, while the newer ones used a 16mm thread with 18 threads per inch pattern...

So, even though I could have sworn that I already have tried that size, I am gonna go get that exact fitting today and try it one more time...I also would love to just yank one off an older truck in the junk yard, just to make sure...

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, it's the non-standardized crap that pisses ya off..........had that same issue with hooking up new lines to my TPI fuel rails...........o-ringed and METRIC.............so had to get custom ones made at our local hydraulic shop.

Man, doing my crossover this week............hope it goes smoother than your's ! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

By the way, where did you get the new pressure hose? Autozone or somewhere similar?

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got the pressure hose from Kragen...I will try to remember to bring the part number to work with me for you tomorrow...I believe it was the pretty common one for all the older trucks, but they had to special order it in since they didn't stock it in the store...

Yeah, I wish you much more luck than I have had! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Someone tried this on another list and couldn't make it work, but it seemed odd to me. The pressure side fitting on the pump is removable. I'm 99.9% sure whether "metric" or "standard" the threads into the pump are the same for that fitting.

Although you have to remove the pump to rebuild it anyway, it made sense to me that if the fittings were interchangeable, that was all that would need to be changed if going to a new style steering box, or new pump with old box. FWIW

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the fittings at the Pump are interchangeable, I have already done that part. The problem has been that the fittings at the box are not interchangeable...I need a standard 5/8" thread #18 fitting with 3/8" inner flared style tube...seems that all the ones I have tried so far are the 16mm thread size with #18 fitting (which fits the newer o-ring boxes)...

Gonna try to hunt one down at a junk yard this week...

7. dyeager535

I must not be grasping this, I'm sure you would have already done it:

You know, as I do, that there were two fitting sizes. O-ring and non. (At least thats all I'm aware of) So if the box is non o-ring, then the fitting on the pump needs to be the same. Since it's interchangeable, should be easy. You said you did this.

I see you mention return line though, which you really only need the fitting and short section of pipe for, to attach a hose with a clamp to and the other end to the box "nipple", right?

I guess its ending up you educating me instead of getting your question answered, I just wasn't aware that it was any more complex than swapping the high pressure fitting on the pump to match the high pressure fitting on the box..if there are only two styles, it *should* be that easy, thats why I'm confused...

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, here goes: I have an 87, which of course had the o-ring style pump and box. I bought an AGR box that was for a 75 Chevy truck, which of course has the flare style fittings. I got the correct high pressure fitting for the pump from Kragen, and have swapped it in place of the "stock" o-ring style. So, that part was easy and has been done since last week.

The part I am still having trouble with is the BOX side fittings, not the pump. You are correct, the pump has just the high pressure fitting (which I swapped) and the low pressure tube that just takes a hose and clamp back to the box. I finally did locate the high pressure line and have since connected it to the pump AND box, so the high pressure side is finished. It's the return line fitting for the box that I am still struggling to find. I was sold several fittings over the weekend that "should have fit" according to the various stores. I have since called AGR this morning and found out that the port fittings in the box changed from SAE standard thread sizes to Metric thread sizes when the systems went from Flare Style to O-ring style. This fact I did not know prior to today.

So, I am trying to find either a pre-80s junkyard box with the stock fitting (supposed to be a 5/8" thread size, 18 threads per inch pattern with a 3/8" inner flare tube) OR find this fitting in a Napa, Kragen, etc...Am not having any luck so far with NAPA, etc...and cannot get to a junkyard til next weekend most likely. Called a couple of local hose shops, and they all want to have the box to see it...so looks like I have to remove it AGAIN!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

So, bottom line is that I just need the return line fitting for a pre-80s steering box...don't even need the hose, just the fitting. I have enough hose from my power steering cooler, so the hose is no big deal...

9. dyeager535

Makes perfect sense /forums/images/icons/wink.gif