Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

power steering bracket for headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudd_rat, May 27, 2004.

1. mudd_rat

mudd_rat Registered Member

i swaped my friends tired 305 from his k5 for a jim pace 350 while he was away at boot camp, while we were putting a new engine in we figured we would take and slap on a set of headers so we did, well my friend died in boot camp and never came home shortly after i goined the navy, and never finished the swap, all i need is the bracket for the power steering pump the one that keeps it tight i know ive seen the after market brackets some where just dont remeber where, im goin home on leave in a couple months and im gonna finish it for his mom, but i dont know where to find the bracket. any help will be appreciated.

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Sorry to here about your buddy. You can get the bracket from summit or jegs. I don't know how your's is set up, but on mine I was able to use a 3/8 ID tube as a spacer between the header and pump then used a longer bolt.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

really sorry to hear about your bud. i'm not sure if i could handle losing one of my friends like that. you're definitely a strong individual.

about the bracket, do you still have the stock one? if so, take your favorite cutoff wheel/sawzall/air saw/etc and hack the part of the bracket that is giving you problems off, and only use the front bolt. you will need a short tube spacer. a stack of washers would also work. that's what i have done on all of my trucks that got headers, and have never had a bit of problem out of them.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm also really sorry to hear about your buddy and he must have been a big one for all the nice stuff you were doing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
    What I did was found a power stearing bracket from a 70 Chevelle and bolted it up. I didn't use my AC and didn't want that huge bracket on my nice motor but like the other guys said, it depends on what set up you have.
    Hope this helps.....

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I used threaded bar and a couple jam nuts. Not the prettiest looking thing but works well.

6. mudd_rat

mudd_rat Registered Member

thanks so much, i have looked on summit, and cant find just a power steering bracket, i will have to check and see what i can find if the brqacket is still around. any one got pics so i can see what you have done?? i already have tyhe pump mounted it jst squeels when you turn the wheel because the pump flexs.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Powersteering pics

Is that what you are talking about?

Click the arrow pointing to the right for 2 more pictures of that PS pump setup.

I had to change my waterpump and all pulleys to run that pump, but it was entirely worth it. You can see in one of the pictures you use a 5/8" wrench on the welded on nut for one of the brackets, to adjust belt tension, and the water pump bolt actually threads into the pump, which keeps you from having to line the bolt up on the backside like the earlier ones.

You can't just swap the brackets on some of the PS pumps (I couldn't) because the welded on studs on the back of the pump are different. As a matter of fact, the bracket in pictures PS1 and PS2 are off of a 4.3L, since the donor car ('87 Monte SS) had AC, and I don't.